The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - micr0's 12 Gallon Long
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #23
micr0
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions! Right now I'm eagerly awaiting the delivery of my GLA Primo CO2 system, which I'm hoping will give me the upper hand while I battle some hair algae in this tank. It flared up this week after I ran out of Fluval 88g cartridges. I stubbornly refused to buy more when I've got the real deal on the way, so in the meantime I had two spare cylinders from the small fluval kit lying around that I'm feeding into the powerhead. Levels have definitely fluctuated a lot and I've been physically removing the algae as it grows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebettashop View Post
Beautiful setup! how do you like the Mr Aqua tank?
I love it. I really couldn't be happier. At $80 delivered from Marine Depot, it seemed like the perfect choice for me. And the 36" length makes the tank seem much bigger than it actually is. Lots of scaping options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixella View Post
Looks awesome! I just got this tank and can't wait to set it up... need to build a stand for it but the weather has been bad here so I can't do all the sanding and staining I need to do yet.

I'd advise against putting killifish in it, they're very good jumpers. I had mine in a covered 10 gallon tank with a divider in it, my betta in one half and my killifish in the other half. I had the water level about 2 inches below the top of the divider and there was only about 3/4 to 1 inch of space between the divider and the top of the tank and the male managed to jump over into the side with my betta. Thankfully I caught them before they killed each other.
Word on the killies. I completely forgot they're jumpers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenche View Post
really nice looking tank and scape. while i love cpd's, i dont think they'll add enough color? cards would be nice...but maybe neons instead? some of my cards around around 1.75", which seems to me like they'd be a little too big proportionally? maybe also consider Hyphessobrycon amapaensis tetras?
I wasn't familiar with Hyphessobrycon amapaensis. Looks really nice!

I'm hesitant to add livestock right now mainly because it makes leaving town more complicated. I already feel bad enough asking my roommate (who knows zero about aquariums) to feed my other tank, add water, fertilize, etc. I'm leaving next week and won't be back until January 9. The lights and co2 will be automated, but I'm already mentally preparing myself for what my tank will look like without anyone on algae/WC duty. It's all good though I'll whip it back into condition.