The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - twin 29g tanks on metal stand...pic heavy!
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 02:49 AM   #25
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
LOL - cableguy, you crack me up! Yes, the stand is backwards! I threw it up there to check the stability and make sure it's still level - when I went to take the bottom tank out I was perplexed as to why I couldn't ; )
I laughed at myself at the time.
I took scapegoat's adivce and covered the intake and made a ledge to direct the flow from the outake. I plugged up all the little openings created by closing the intake in (basically I made a tube-form out of styro to house the intake) with small bits of leftover styro - it lends to the craggy look. Now, to keep fish from swimming up the bottom of the intake area where the grill is, I'm going to silicone in a mesh made from dark cloth window screen material (I have some handy) or I'll go to Walmart tomorrow and buy the plastic canvas. I work in the dept that sells the plastic canvas and I don't want to go in for anything on my day off! lol When I made the "rocks" to cover the intake, I didn't realize I made them so low they obscured seeing the grill - not any kind of filtration problem, and it makes putting in the mesh easier. The mesh will also be easier to clean of debris - I always get bits of plants stuck to my intake grills. Getting it off the back of the grills is a pain. Cleaning the relatively flat surface of the mesh will be much easier. I guess the plastic canvas would be a lot stronger and hold up to cleaning better *sigh*. Back to work I go...
So far this has been very easy, quick, and fun! If it comes out looking like crap I'll just plant taller plants & hide it ; )
Glad I could help you laugh. I like the design of the foam covering the intake. May I make a suggestion? Make the rock in the front of the intake removable. It will be easier to waterproof and take out to clean then. You can put holes and use silicone covered dowel rods to hold it in place. Then cleaning will be really easy.

And I just picked up some plastic canvas today. I am gonna use it for a moss wall in a couple of my tanks.

Also with the rock, if you don't like the way it looks finished, cover it in moss. That would look awesome.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote