The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - My Review: SunSun "Outside Filter" HW-302
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #519
thtsapaddlin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default Giving up on SunSun?

Hey all,

I've been battling with this filter for a year (see posts dated from 8/24/2010). Tank water has always been "clean," but never crystal clear.

I left town for 2 months, and was forced to tear down (well, sort of -- I just took out my driftwood and all plants -- livestock remain) my 50t when I returned because it had gotten out-of-hand. I vacuumed, but pulling all the plant material from the tank really stirred up a lot of gunk. Now, nearly 24 hours later, the tank still has "large" pieces of organic material floating around, even with the Koralia powerhead running.

I have dispensed water from the filter into a clear glass, and there is clearly unfiltered material floating in this efferent water. There's a bypass issue somewhere, and I haven't figured it out in over a year.

Anyway, I value your opinions and I trust that if you are all happy with your 304's, and everyone is experiencing crystal-clear water, maybe I ought to buy another SunSun and hope it's not defective like my first 2 have been (first one leaked around the lid).

If not, I guess I'll have to upgrade from Chinese equipment to an Eheim 2217.

SunSun owners, could you share your thoughts? Are your 304's "sufficient" or are they "excellent?"
thtsapaddlin is offline   Reply With Quote