The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - ngfrazier's ADA 75-P Tank Journal
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 05:10 AM   #8
ngfrazier
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffww View Post
Do you have plans for how to construct that stand? How hard was laminating the wood?
Hi Jeff,

I do not have plans, but I could give you the measurements. I started by making the top (where the tank sits) very slightly bigger than the tank. In order to determine the stand height, I customized the height to allow me to comfortably reach into the tank (this is taken by measuring from your armpit down to the floor, minus the tank height). I also had to account for the leveling feet I added to the tank.

I need to find the charger to my camera, so that I can take more pictures and post a longer explanation.....

Ok, about the formica. Well, lots of things to learn. Easy as hell to apply, so long as you got the right tools. Get a good router (I like Bosch) and router trimming bits (also Bosch). Then get a fine tooth circular saw to cut the sheets of formica. Last, you need the glue (contact cement) and dowels (I used paint sticks). Presto. You can also file the edges (although I only needed to do that for a few places).

Okay, the other thing--lay small formica pieces (trim) and then do the larger pieces (sides, etc...). It's super simple. You can watch lots of Youtube videos. But there's no substitute for actually working with the router and formica. You need to get a feel for that. If you are worried, just buy a couple square feet and make a small project with formica. You'll see it's pretty simple.

Formica solves one of the hardest things for amateurs: finishing work. Good finishing work is what separates the real craftsmen from the amateurs. Try it. You will be amazed.
ngfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote