The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - House of Zoo's - 29 gallon low tech (Updated 6-14-2011)
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 12:54 AM   #24
HouseofZoo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Well, I got lazy. I'll admit it. I quit changing out my yeast bottles, I stopped dosing consistently enough to make a difference and water changes were slim to none for a while. Despite the surgery last year to repair my shoulder and reduce the pain, I'm still in just as much pain, so I'm thinking it didn't work. Anyhow, that's neither here nor there.....

So here is the updated picture. It looks more like a beginning picture because all of my plants shrank.

My BN pleco shredded most of the moss in my tank and instead of letting it grow wherever it landed I finally just removed it all. The swassertang survived her temper tantrums and I was able to split it up and attach it to some tiles I had lying around.

So I purchased a new light fixture yesterday because I couldn't find bulbs for the coralife t5no anywhere except online and I refuse to buy a fragile little light bulb from the internet. I also heard the fixture was d/c so I figured it was only a matter of time before the bulbs were to.

I got a single bulb 24" GLO fixture and I am using the Power-GLO bulb per the recommendation of staff at the store and them showing me the results in their own tanks after using the bulb. It's raised I'm not exactly sure how high above my tank 3-4 inches? The color and sharpness are awesome. It's not as bright as I expected, but it really does look gorgeous.

Today I traded my little BN pleco girl, aka interior decorating poop machine, in for some plants and a Siamese Algae Eater. Photos of that fishy can be seen on the fish forum, aww heck I'll post one here too.

I also picked up a few plants at discount to see what we can make happen.
This is what I got:
Nesaea pedicellata ‘Golden’ - Golden Nesea
Aponogeton longiplumulosus
Alternathera reinekii v. "Rosaefolia” - Red Temple
Nymphaea sp. Taiwan??

I was finally able to find Spectracide Stump Remover at Lowe's after being told last year they pulled it from the shelf because people were making bombs with it

I'm going to start EI dosing and water changes again. I finally got some root tabs for my vals and crypts. I'm also restarting my yeast bottles.

Guess we'll see how things go. Here's the pics, sorry for talking so much and the poor quality pictures!