The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 29 high tech lighting, t5ho vs CF
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #12
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhoe14er View Post
Hoppy's chart was made using T5HO fixtures that have amazing reflectors (when T5HO bulbs have separate reflectors for each bulb they give off so much more light).

If you buy a fixture with a single reflector then make sure you multiply the expected par on hoppys chart by about 2/3 because they will give off approximatly 2/3'rds of the par ( i tested this on my old zoomed fixture with T5HO 2x 24 watt lights over my 29 gallon tank and only got 35 par from a distance of 24 inches). If you buy a really nice light fixture with reflectors on each bulb then you can follow hoppys chart more.
Unfortunately it's not that simple. The Current and Coralife T5HO fixtures have individual reflectors and still don't equate to what's in the chart. OP, either one of those 30" fixtures would work. This is not an exact science. Your setup, co2, stocking levels, maintenance habits, water change discipline, etc, etc. etc. will dictate how successful you are. Best advise I can give you is make sure you have everything ready to go when you startup your tank and keep your lights at 5 to 6 hours and graduate up to 8 to 9 as the tank matures.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote