The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Is my car going to die
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 07:34 AM   #14
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwangtzu View Post
Subarus use a lot of oil and their sensors are pretty late to light up. If your engine hasn't been destroyed, check your oil at least once a month.

That said, you should tell the mechanic if you notice anything different about how it steers. Whether the noise gets louder when you are accelerating (like getting on the freeway) or slowing down. Does it only happen when the car is moving, or does it happen when the car is in park/neutral and you press the accelerator?

From this part of your description "louder as I drive faster, or accelerate and slight turn at the same time" it sounds like the 'constant velocity' (CV) joint on one or both of the front axles is going out.

Killer first post to a planted tank forum, huh? I expect to learn a lot on here, but cars are something I already know, so I guess I'm paying in advance for the education I expect to get here.

Good luck with your car. And keep an eye on your fluids, there aren't any automatic top off systems in cars yet.
Nice 1st post hehe. Welcome!!

Anyways, yes, I guess I shall check my fluids more often. My parents only do it once a year, but I drive more often than they do so it is a good idea.

The sound only happens when I accelerate, the sound returns to a normal level at under 30MPH or at stop. I haven't shifted to Neutral ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoticAquatic View Post
is the noise coming from the engine something else? if u have sludge build up i would recomend a can of moa44 it will clean alot of sludge built up as long as u follow the directions. if it was your rotors you should probably feel a vibration through the break pedal, if it the noise gets faster with speed i would shut the car off and check to see if the fan is warn out (only when car is off) by grabbing it and seeing if it wiggles if so its bad, i would also check the lugs on the tires ive know of noises like that from the wheel having play from being loose. my gut is saying if it has a helicopter sound it could very well be a loose fan, if it is that and doesnt get fixed it can and will go through the front end ratiator and all and cause extensive damage could also go though the hood ive seen some crazy things happen with cars. but without more info its us just guessing what it probably is. i would not drive it unless it was to the shop or someone that knows there way around a car!!
Wow, I'm not sure at all. But I'll call Subaru tomorrow and try to use some exaggeration to make it seem more like an emergency so they can get me in sooner. I don't want a fan flying around or some crazy thing O_O