The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - My Review: SunSun "Outside Filter" HW-302
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #333
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Got my "Perfect" (the 264gph one) a week ago and I'm loving the sound (or complete lack) of it. Originally I put some of the media from my previous HOB AQ70 to transfer some bacteria, but found that the flow was very low. Using a highly accurate flow-checking method (1L bottle and a phone in timer mode, trying not to drop the phone in the tank) and ended up with about 55gph.

I then removed the extra media and left just the 3 cotton pads that come with the canister and checked again, and came up with about 140gph.

The tank rim is about 4 1/2 feet off the floor (where the canister is), so the water has some extra climb. I'm not thrilled with the flow rate, but I think the elimination of sound, lack of surface agitation (CO2 diffusion issues), and overall much cleaner look more than make up for it, especially since the Perfect was just a few dollars more than the AQ70 was. Overall, very happy with my new toy!
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote