The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Review: 25W nano heater that will fit in a Fluval Edge HOB filter (4" long!)
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 04:08 AM   #15
tuonor
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridtheoryd16 View Post
Now if we could get one of the electronic guru's floating around to figure out a way to DIY this thing to run on 110v it would be even better.
Best I can tell its not possible without a step-up converter. I went down this road in the DIY forum, considering whether the 50W version of this heater could just run on 110v. My thinking was if the heater was made for 220v and you plugged it into an outlet with half the voltage, it would output half the wattage...but apparently the math actually works out to 1/4 the wattage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDean View Post
Let us know how it works after you get it all hooked up. Also how much did you have to spend for the heater and converter?
Heater was around $20 shipped and converter was $12.50 (free shipping at amazon if you order $25 of stuff).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hathj29 View Post
Hi again,
Could you possibly tell me how wide the heater is?
Thanks,
hathj29
The diameter of the glass heating element is ~1/2", the diameter of the plastic ends is 15/16" and the length is 4"

A few pics from testing:

Power consumption of power converter without heater (or thermostat off):

Power consumption of power converter + heater when thermostat is on:

Temperature differential to room temp after 24 hours (generally achieved after ~12 hours):

Edge Tuning: 26W lighting conversion - concealed pressurized CO2 - HOB CO2 injection - nano HOB heater - lunar lights
tuonor is offline   Reply With Quote