The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Review: 25W nano heater that will fit in a Fluval Edge HOB filter (4" long!)
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
tuonor
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototyp3 View Post
[/list]Just curious as to what you meant by this point. Are you saying if a 50w heater got stuck "ON" it'd boil up the 6.6 gallons more than a 25w heater? Has the Catalina been known to have thermostat issues?

I figured I ought to ask, as I'm considering a couple Catalina for an upcoming build. I need something small, but enough oompf to heat 12 gallons.

Thanks for being the guinea pig for us all!
In theory i) the excess heating capacity means it can heat the water to a higher temp relative to room temps (been way too long since I took physics but IIRC temperature differentials are proportional to energy applied, so if a 25W heater can increase a given mass of water's temp by 10 degrees, a 50W heater can increase it by 20) and ii) this will happen faster so you have less time to notice signs of distress in your fish.

Importantly, this is NOT intended to be a knock on the Catalina (mine has proven to be reliable, quite durable and generally the next best solution I've found), but its just a point on sizing heaters properly relative to tank volumes.

For a 12 gallon tank, 50W is probably just right if your target temp is within 10 degrees of room temps.

Edge Tuning: 26W lighting conversion - concealed pressurized CO2 - HOB CO2 injection - nano HOB heater - lunar lights

Last edited by tuonor; 03-26-2010 at 12:07 AM..
tuonor is offline   Reply With Quote