The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - The Dragon's Lair - New pics 10/24/10
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #37
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voozle View Post
This is terrific, haven't seen eels in a planted tank before. I really like the elongated cave structure and the low-light plants in and around it, I bet those are two happy eels. Have the algae problems cleared up?
Yep, algae problems are in the past. I added several otos and started dosing small amounts of ferts. I still get some green dust algae on the glass, but nothing out of control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Wow!!

What size is the tank? What is your lighting? Co2?

How long to the eel live? How long do they get? I wonder if there is a variety that could live in a 30 in long tank? They are astonishing to watch. Seem to be intelligent and curious.

I wonder if dosing with KNO3 would help keep the algae away? It worked for me.
This is a 75 gal tank. I'm using a Catalina Solar 4x54W fixture. Most of the time I only run 1 set of lights on a 5 hr timer. Sometimes when I'm home on weekends or during the day, I turn the other set on manually for about an hour.

These peacock eels are the smallest of the freshwater eels, maxing out at around 12-15" and live for about 5 years. They would probably do ok in a 30" long tank. My eel isn't much of a constant swimmer. He hangs out in the dark cave about 98% of the time. It's fun to watch him hunt, very methodical and a quick strike similar to a snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemman View Post
this is niffty subscribed!
Thanks!
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote