The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   DIY (
-   -   GE Silicone II (

Dempsey 11-28-2009 09:28 PM

GE Silicone II
Hello all,

I should have asked this question before I sealed the tank a few days ago. I seen that 100% GE Silicone II with no anti mold or fungus agents are safe to use on tanks. Now I only see that people are using GE Silicone I. What does everyone think? Should I be safe? It is 100%.

Thanks again,

sewingalot 11-29-2009 03:22 PM

I don't know if this will help, but I went to this site: Everyone that was a II, had mold-free seals when you clicked on the details. By the way, it's a GE site.

Dempsey 11-29-2009 03:56 PM

So I shouldn't have used this stuff?

sewingalot 11-29-2009 04:34 PM

Well, according to this MSDS sheet, it contains dibutyltin compounds. Of course, this is also found in PVC, which we use in tanks commonly. Unfortunately, I have no real answer other than to say you can try it out with pond snails and see how everything goes.

kid creole 11-29-2009 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by dempsec1 (Post 950003)
So I shouldn't have used this stuff?

Well, this is a bone of contention among hobbyists, so this isn't an easy yes or no question. Personally, I doubt that whatever makes the silicone mildew resistant isn't water soluble. If it was, you would think the mildew resistance of these silicone would be washed away by rain.

The more important thing is that there are better silicones altogether for putting together a tank.

Dempsey 11-29-2009 04:46 PM

Thanks guys. I don't know what to do. Maybe just redo it? Have you heard of anyone using this stuff before? On the package it doesn't say anything about anti molding. I will have to think long and hard on this one.....

sewingalot 11-29-2009 04:54 PM

Try to call the company. A lot of times, they will help you out on this.

Dempsey 11-29-2009 06:28 PM

Thank you! I didn't even think about calling them! Thanks allot guys! You always help me out!

Dempsey 11-29-2009 07:21 PM

Well, Of course, they are closed. Sunday..... I don't want to wait any longer, and since I have this down to a science now, I am just going to reseal it again. This time with Marineland Aquarium Sealant. I just ran to the LFS and piced it up. If I would have known it was only $10, I would have done this from the begining. Should have done this in the first place.... Well, I hope other have learned from my mistakes. :) I will update the Journal w/pics once I am done. Hmmm Who wants the over under on me getting the whole thing done in less then 2 hours? :hihi:

sewingalot 11-29-2009 09:04 PM

Well, it's been nearly two hours. Results? :)

Dempsey 11-29-2009 09:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Under 2! Finished!:wink: Woo Hoo!!! I didn't tape all of the bottom but from what the eye can see, when the substrate is in, it's perfect!

Dempsey 11-29-2009 09:10 PM

I am getting good at this! haha:tongue:

sewingalot 11-29-2009 09:13 PM

That is some nice silicone! I never had it look that good when I tried. Are you going to let it cure longer than 48 hours?

Dempsey 11-29-2009 09:14 PM

Wife is pissed again..... The living room smells like vinegar. I told her it will only smell for a few hours. Would you rather the smell for a little bit, or 75 gallons of water on the hardwood floors..

Dempsey 11-29-2009 09:40 PM

Thank you! Doing it 3 time in under a month, you learn from your mistakes. Over 48 hours?? I know I should, I really do. The tube of silicone said to wait 48 hours before filling..... I am so impatient! I waited a week with this last seal I did and never filled it. I had every intention on filling it today. Then the doubt rolled in last night about the kind of silicone I used. Maybe I will wait until Wednesday. I really don't want to do this again. I now have my drop checker, and other things that I have been waiting for. So now I am super siked! But..... I will wait 72 hours....:icon_frow