The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Planted Nano Tanks (
-   -   Crim's 5.5 Low Tech Nano (

crimsonbull57 07-22-2009 04:26 AM

Crim's 5.5 Low Tech Nano
OK well this is my 2nd nano tank, first 5.5 gallon.

I wanted a nano shrimp tank so I picked this one up from my neighbors. I didin't want too put to much into this tank so i decided keep this low tech and low cost. I got all my low tech plrants and decided to do a moss wall. After that i decided i wanted to make the substrate more "Plant Friendly" so i added some pure top soil and then got the tank going again. In the future(soon) im going to add cherry shrimp and hopefuly some bee shrimp.

Price List

5 gallon tank -Free
Internal Filter -Free
Pure Top Soil -$5
Pool Filter Sand -$8
Moss Wall netting/screen -$1
15 watt Light -$3
Heater/thermometer -Free
Plants -$10 Apox (most from trades)

Tank: Standard 5.5 gallon aquarium
Light: 15 watt goodwill light
Substrate: Pure topsoil covered with pool filter sand
Filter: Tetra internal filter (I plant on changing to a HOB with sponge cover)
Plants: Java, Flame, Peacock Moss, Java Fern, Anubis, some Hygro, Vals, Tiger Lotus
Inhabitants: Nothing yet, but Cherry shrimp and probably Bee shrimp in the future

Also let me warn you my camera is pretty cheap and my photography skills need some work so i would like to apologize in advance.

Just filling up after redoing the substrate

Well thats all for now...

CL 07-22-2009 04:34 AM

It's a start. Just so you know, you need to expose your anubias rhizomes. They will rot if you keep them buried.

crimsonbull57 07-22-2009 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by clwatkins10 (Post 880899)
It's a start. Just so you know, you need to expose your anubias rhizomes. They will rot if you keep them buried.

These are old pics and my tank looks much better now. Yeah I know that, I have the Anubis tied to some driftwood.

crimsonbull57 07-23-2009 07:41 PM

Here are some more pictures, this is what the tank looks like now

oh and by the way I'm not using Co2

jourdy 07-24-2009 05:17 AM

Looking good.
I'm surprised your moss is growing fast!

That's gonna looke awesome.

crimsonbull57 07-24-2009 07:41 PM

thanks jourdy, I kinda cheated and added some more moss but it really is growing rather quickly, its starting to really come through the holes. oh and I love your tank btw...
Ok well this filter is definitely NOT shrimp safe. I added 1 cherry shrimp, from a 1 gallon bowl desaster, this morning. Went to the LFS got some plants, came back, and he wasn't anywhere to be seen, looked all over finaly checked the filter and he was attached to the media. I quick shut off the filter and got him back in the water and he's doing fine now. I'm going to get a HOB filter tomorrow and cover the intake.
Lession learned.

crimsonbull57 07-25-2009 10:43 PM

Small update:

My little shrimp didn't survive the filter incident :(
I got a Top Fin HOB filter today and added a lotus plant and some cambodia

What'da guys think? in suggestions or comments?

snoz0r 07-28-2009 03:35 PM

looks good so far man, i like the rocks and driftwood, perfect for a smaller tank.

you dosing any ferts or excel at all?

crimsonbull57 07-28-2009 03:46 PM

thanks snoz0r, nah, im keeping it as simple as possible, no ferts, excel or anything, I might use some root tabs for the tiger lotus but I'll wait and see how it grows without first.

Strick 07-28-2009 04:39 PM

Good start. That moss wall's going to s-w-e-e-t when it grows in.

crimsonbull57 07-30-2009 02:04 AM

ok well the substrate, moss wall, and I all got into a huge fight. All the topsoil got kicked up and the water got super cloudy. I put the moss wall back. But it not after some major adjustments. But It should get better before I get home from vacation.

crimsonbull57 08-07-2009 03:57 PM

I got home yesterday. All my tanks were in serious need of attention. Especially this one!
The mineralized topsoil made a huge mess, which I am yet to "fix" (any suggestions on how to clean it up would be helpful). I tore all the java moss out of the moss wall and replaced it with peacock moss. And thats about it as an update. I'll post pics onces everything is cleaned up.

Oh but my trip was Great!

crimsonbull57 08-07-2009 07:48 PM

I got the Substrate cleaned up and the tank looks a lot better now. I had to take out all the plants, then siphon all the water out. Added some extra pool filter sand, refilled the tank and redid the moss wall. I also removed the moss covered rocks now that the driftwood is fully waterlogged.
Now all it has to do is grow in.

Here are some pics

Before the mess

After the cleanup

The java moss from the moss wall

Some driftwood I got when I was in Florida

Some extra shots

The back of the moss wall

What do you'll think ?

and if anyone wants a golfball portion of java moss PM me.

chase127 08-07-2009 07:51 PM

Yeah boye low tech 5.5's are the bomb diggity. Do you need any more moss for that moss wall? i have some more taiwan i was going to RAOK out.

crimsonbull57 08-08-2009 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by chase127 (Post 888728)
Yeah boye low tech 5.5's are the bomb diggity. Do you need any more moss for that moss wall? i have some more taiwan i was going to RAOK out.

Yeah chase they are, I really like yours too.
I think I'm set on moss for now thanks for the offer tho!