The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Minnesota (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Best fish stores in TC area? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=90751)

supracoracoideous 07-22-2009 02:56 AM

Best fish stores in TC area?

This thread seems too quiet...

What are the better fish stores in the area? I am SE of the cities and have been going to World of Fish, Something Fishy, and Aqualand in the Richfield area. Havent bought anything, though, as I am still planning and setting up.

What places are best for prices? Especially for plants.

WataruTendo 07-30-2009 06:07 PM

Well for some of the more common plants such as Java fern, Hornwort and such you might just want to go to Petsmart or Petco. They're about 3.00 dollars there. For the more uncommon stuff I say World of fish. As for fishes it depends on what you want. Aqualand tends to have cheaper fish; World of fish more variety, but a little more expensive. You also might want to try out Petland and Twin city reptiles.

As for the best fish store in Twincity, I thnk World of fish tends to be it since the have a wide variety of fish and plants. If your looking to save money its better to shop around and check out the chains stores.

toueeyoreeyang 01-01-2010 06:25 PM

stores in the TC???

Wow, noone answered? Well, check out Forest Lake Pets. It's a drive from the south but about 25 minutes from Saint Paul (depends how ou drive) It is an awesome store!

AquaNorth 02-11-2010 05:46 PM

I would give Forest Lake Pets a try great selection,they are very helpful and are competively priced. If it is plants you are looking for go to World of Fish, they tend to be on the expensive side. Common aquarium supplies go to Petsmart or Petco. A good source online is Dr Foster & Smith.

MWBradshaw 03-24-2010 05:09 AM

I'm in the NE suburbs and I tried 2 Petco's and 2 Petsmart's around me and they have some of the bare essentials but not really the stuff I was looking for (Driftwood, Flourite, a wide plant selection). The first place I went was Forest Lake Pet, they have a ton of aquariums and some good looking stuff. Some stuff was picked over and some was over priced, but they get a lot of business so they must be doing something right! Sounds like they have a lot of rare species and native ones too.

AquaNorth 03-25-2010 08:49 PM

I'm not a fan of something fishy, The world of fish is a good source for plants but they tend to be expensive, fish selection is good but also expensive. Take the drive to Forest Lake pets it's well worth the drive great selection of fish and they have been stocking alot more plants lately. What type of set up are you looking at. Forest Lake pets has good prices on aquariums.

MWBradshaw 04-21-2010 04:26 AM

Yah they do have good prices on Aquariums. Not much for stands but they can order in anything and they get those shipments on Tuesdays and Fridays. Huge selection of fish, some plants. Rather knowledgeable staff too. Good place.

AquaNorth 04-27-2010 04:20 AM

The natives are in the rear of the store on the right hand side by the feeder and turtles.

hydrophyte 08-26-2010 06:35 PM

I am heading up that way this weekend. Does anybody have any additional suggestions for Twin Cities area LFSs with plant stuff?

KY42 01-13-2011 07:41 AM

Forest Lake Pets is one of my favorites...

Frau Frankenstein 01-14-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KY42 (Post 1256528)
Forest Lake Pets is one of my favorites...

A++ on Forest Lake

lots of rare stuff, staff are awesome, I had to move a very large tank and these guys were the only will staff to help.

Ive also had better luck w rare/$$ fish living from these guys vs WOF....

If they dont have what youre looking for they can easily order.

Bowser 02-22-2011 02:52 AM

There is Terrequatics in champlin, very nice people there.
Won't lead you in the wrong direction, prices are actually pretty good to me

AndrewLarson 02-22-2011 03:04 AM

I like both aqualand and world of fish. But forest lake pets is my favorite. Not too expensive an a HUGE selection, kinda a drive from St. Paul but definitely worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

210 transition 03-27-2011 06:08 AM

I gotta give props to Sea Level, I had never heard of them before but I was actually pointed in their direction by a smaller shop. The store doesn't look like much but their prices are perfect (50% of World of Fish) and they carry bulk substrate. I got 200# of 1/16 - 1/8 river rock for $50.00 at World of Fish I would have got less than 50# for that money. Mag Drive 9.5 for $80.00 World of Fish is $225.00, Driftwood for 1/3 or less of WOF. They don't have everything but what they do have they treat you right on.

210 transition 03-27-2011 06:09 AM

Oh ya and their only a couple miles from WOF
8590 Excelsior BLVD