The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Lighting for a new 75 G tank (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=891)

Momotaro 02-22-2003 02:41 AM

I am putting together equipment I will need for a new planted aquarium. I will be buying a 75G Oceanic aquarium. The light it comes with just won't cut it. I was thinking of going with a power compact at about a total of 175 to 200w. This will be my first "big" aquarium and my first attempt in CO2 injection, so I don't want to over do it with the lights.
I hope I am on the right track, and need some opinions to help make a solid decision! Any input on what to buy is always appreciated.
( I am not extremely "handy", so a lot of DIY solutions tend to get lost on me)
Thanks to all,
Mike

Rex Grigg 02-22-2003 12:35 PM

Well there are a couple of ways to go. I like the www.ahsupply.com answer the best. Their directions make it easy for anyone to hook the lights up. Are you going to have a wooden canopy on the tank? If so then AH Supply is the way to go. As to how much light, well you could go with three 55 watt kits, mount two end to end and one in the middle front or back. Or you could just go with a 4 x 55 watt kit and be done with it. That would give you just under three wpg. You would need to have CO2 injection at that light level though. And DIY CO2 would not cut it.

Buck 02-22-2003 01:48 PM

Agreed...
The 4 x 55W from Ahsupply is the cleanest , easiest way to go for that tank...
if you go with a 3 x 55W you will be limited in plant selection and since you plan on CO2 anyways the extra light will help , otherwise you will be regretting it in 3 months. And then it is more costly and time consuming to add the additional light.
Here is what I just did for my 56G , lights from AHSupply.
Bucks DIY Canopy

Buck 02-22-2003 01:51 PM

Also if you have not purchased this tank yet the money you save by buying "tank only" will help offset the cost of compacts...
Just the tank itself can be purchased relatively cheaply...its the hoods,stands etc. that add up the quickest. :o

Momotaro 02-22-2003 03:32 PM

I was not planning on a wooden canopy at all. I would like to keep the profile of the aquarium a little lower and sleeker. Something that big becomes a piece of furniture here in my apartment. I thought a strip light like a JBJ over at Aqua Botanic would fit the ( expensive) bill !http://www.aquabotanic.com/jbjlighting.htm . I would imagine maintainance would be a little easier without the wooden canopy also.
But if you guys think that a wooden canopy is superior and I have no other feasable options, then I may have to reconsider. Even though I have my heart set against it.
Mike

Rex Grigg 02-23-2003 12:25 AM

If you want the low profile then go with the lights from Aqua Botanic.

m.lemay 02-23-2003 02:39 AM

The JBJ 4x55 watt setup from Aquabotanic is not a bad deal. Its sleek as hell. If that setup had been available when I setup my 75 I would have bought it. It comes with the bulbs. Bulbs alone are $100. If I had to do it all over, I'd get the JBJ setup.

Marcel

Momotaro 02-23-2003 03:05 AM

Thanks for all your input guys, I really appreciated the opinions! You have helped me make a good choice! A LFS sells the same JBJ setup in a 4x65 watt for $9 more, but I think it may be a bit too much. 3.5 watts per gallon, I don't know .This is my first big aquarium, my first set of power compacts and first stab at CO2, could be a recipe for disaster!
I believe the LFS will ship out those JBJ PCs, if anyone is interested let me know and I'll post the info.
Mike

m.lemay 02-23-2003 03:18 AM

Does it come with the bulbs? Aquabotanics fixture is also a 4x65 but with 55 watt bulbs that are overdriven a little. Read the fine print on the web page. Also Aquabotanic uses the 6500k bulbs which are better for plants than the daylight bulbs.

Momotaro 02-23-2003 03:35 AM

Check out the JBJ site, they have the 55 and a 65 watt model with 10000k and 7100k bulbs. My LFS sells the 4x65.JBJ Site

m.lemay 02-23-2003 03:49 AM

Go for it !!

SNPiccolo5 02-23-2003 04:46 AM

That is a great lighting deal! Those fixtures are nice and not too expensive for a 4x55 (or 65?) PC setup...!

-Tim :fish:

dlwarnock 02-23-2003 04:42 PM

Does anyone know if there is a shield between the JBJ bulbs and the water? I hope to run my aquarium open top and I need the fixture protected from water damage.

David

dlwarnock 02-23-2003 05:02 PM

Mike,

I'm doing the same thing your are. Putting together the stuff I need to convert my 75g to a planted tank.

Here's what I have so far.

Substrate heater: 50w from Fishvet.com.

Substrate: ECO - Complete Planted tank substrate by CaribSea from LFS.

Lighting: JBJ Formosa 260w from Ebay auction. 4 55w 5300K bulbs from AHsupply. (Returned my AquaLight)

Filteration: Ehiem Pro II 2026 from BigAl's. Ehiem 2215 reused from old setup.

CO2: Ultimate CO2 system from Florida Driftwood.

I don't know how this is going to turn out but I do know I won't be able to blame anything on bad equipment. I feel the same way you do about DIY. So, I picked what I think is the best and searched out the best price.

If you want to share experiences my email is dwarnock@plantationcable.net.

Also, I'm going to document my project with pictures in the gallery when I get started in about two weeks. You should do the same. Everyone seems to think it is a good idea.

Best of luck to you.

David

dlwarnock 02-23-2003 05:07 PM

Sorry about the second post but I screwed up my email. It really is warnock@plantationcable.net.