The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Today I learned the value of a good reflector (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=825)

GDominy 02-16-2003 04:36 AM

I painted the inside of the canopy with Tremclad high heat white paint tonight and, I gotta say, WOW. I tried the canopy with just 2 4 foot power glo's and was blown away. INFINITELY brighter, and a much whiter light.

The VHO's are still giving off a yellow hue, but not too bad now at all. I think I will replace one of the 3 bulbs with a higher K bulb, but I wont need to do them all.

Thank you all for the suggestions, you saved me a lot of money in experimentation.

GulfCoastAquarian 02-17-2003 01:57 PM

I'm also using White paint in one of my canopies and while the light is pretty brilliant, I am tempted to try an actual parabolic reflector. I wish I had a lux meter to actually quantify the difference, though!

GDominy 02-18-2003 03:20 PM

Before;

http://aquafiend.plantedtank.net/ima.../135lights.jpg

After;

http://aquafiend.plantedtank.net/ima.../135lights.jpg

jart 03-18-2003 04:33 AM

gulf:

any ideas as to where you might find such a parabolic reflector? about the only thing i can find referenced is the coralife aqua mirror which is a flat design.

i suppose you could bend some polished sheet metal, but then you'd just be guessing at the angles, and might actually be better off with a flat surface.

GulfCoastAquarian 03-18-2003 02:01 PM

Jart, I'm actually working on my own reflector design. I started with the Miro-4 reflector that AHSupply uses and optimized it for two T12 tubes, spaced 2 1/2" apart. I'm working on optimizing the reflection angles to get the most output. I could publish a template at that point, and you could use aluminum flashing to bend your own reflector. It's going to take me a while to get it optimized, though, since work has been busy lately.

STAT 007 03-18-2003 07:31 PM

Leave it to an ME to do something like this... LOL. Good work, GCA! ;)

Work In Progress 03-18-2003 10:07 PM

Oh Sam,
your giving me visions of my nightmarish math class in highschool...
Your diagram looks sharp, yet very complicated, LOL! Good work!

Kelly
:bounce:

jart 03-19-2003 02:26 AM

gulf what computer program are you using?

looks like a prototype of r2d2's noggin. :P

STAT 007 03-19-2003 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jart
gulf what computer program are you using?

looks like a prototype of r2d2's noggin. :P

LMAO!!! :D

Buck 03-19-2003 10:46 AM

:arrow: Sam For President

:wink:

GulfCoastAquarian 03-19-2003 02:00 PM

Haha, I just completely laughed out loud after reading this thread just now.

That design program I'm using is Unigraphics NX. I'm just manipulating input angles, radiating from the center of the bulbs. The lines are constrained such that index of reflection = index of refraction and I can follow the reflected light into the tank. There is a lot of re-strike with two bulbs in one reflector. I was thinking of scrapping this idea and making just single bulb reflectors. Reflectivity would increase drastically. I'll tell you this much, AHSupply's Miro-4 does NOT reflect 99.4% of emitted light into the tank!

STAT 007 03-19-2003 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GulfCoastAquarian
I'll tell you this much, AHSupply's Miro-4 does NOT reflect 99.4% of emitted light into the tank!

UGH!!! What a rook! Kim, you're busted!

Just kidding. :wink: It kinda bothers me that this claim of theirs is false, but I've been SUPER happy with the products and service I've received from AH Supply so I'll let this one slide.

GulfCoastAquarian 03-19-2003 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAT 007
Quote:

Originally Posted by GulfCoastAquarian
I'll tell you this much, AHSupply's Miro-4 does NOT reflect 99.4% of emitted light into the tank!

UGH!!! What a rook! Kim, you're busted!

Just kidding. :wink: It kinda bothers me that this claim of theirs is false, but I've been SUPER happy with the products and service I've received from AH Supply so I'll let this one slide.

Well I amend my statement, I double checked and it is Miro-4 that has the 99% reflectivity claim, not ahsupply. Kim, you're all good! It is the material that is 99% reflective, which does play a huge role in the quality of a reflector. If the aluminum flashing you buy to make your own reflector does only reflect 86% as AHsupply indicated (seems plausible) then even with optimized reflection angles, you still might not be as efficient as if you used enhanced polished aluminum.

I'm not looking to beat AHSupply's performance, only match it for a lower price. Something I could make for $5 (for a 10" by 10 foot roll) and have a decent reflector on all of my tanks.

But I repeat - AHSupply's reflector is excellent. Their claim is not false, as far as I know.

jart 03-27-2003 01:19 AM

well, gulf et al, i have found a sheet metal shop that is willing to do some cutting and bending on a small scale.

to keep things simple, i think i'll just go with a couple of pieces of metal, and cover them with aluminum tape.

plan: metal - bulb - bulb - bulb - metal (i tried to illustrate this better using /'s and \'s and |'s and the like but it wouldn't turn out. hopefully this is making sense).

if any of you care to comment as to what angles (maybe just a simple 45 degree?) would be perferred i'd be very grateful. thanks for any opinions.

anonapersona 03-27-2003 02:44 AM

window tint!

where did I read that? Can't recall....

anona, pretty dim this evening