The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Aquascaping (
-   -   safe rock (

reddragon1977 01-29-2009 01:00 PM

safe rock
hello all
Im looking to see if anyone has a list of aquarium safe rocks that wont chance my water chemistry. Im not fond of going to a pet store so im off to the local landscaping yard to see what they have. Rocks like fieldstone, granite ect. any help would be greately appreciated.

metageologist 01-29-2009 04:20 PM

here is a basic list if you want more detail just ask. I will not list any granites of meta's because there locality can have a huge bearing on there composition any ways here it is

Sand stone
shales (may become soft depending on age and layering

remember this is just a basic list for any body with a limited understanding about rock composition the rocks listed above are not 100% safe no rock is.

a good method to be a sure about its basic composition is to carry a bottle of 1molar HCL if it fizzes it is leverite (leave it right there) . or find a geologist i hear they will work for shiny rocks and plants

hope this helps

reddragon1977 01-30-2009 04:51 PM

that helps alot. is there a product name or where would i obtain "1molar HCL "?

Left C 01-30-2009 05:48 PM

You can use muriatic acid which is dilute HCl. You can get it at masonry shops, pool supply shops, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.