The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Aquascaping (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   20 doís and doníts for a great aquascape (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79745)

Lee 01-06-2009 01:47 AM

20 doís and doníts for a great aquascape

edit

fishsandwitch 01-06-2009 02:19 AM

Good do list, I dont agree with a lot of the donts though. Most of the donts can be pulled of and look really great if done right.

EdTheEdge 01-06-2009 03:00 AM

Quote:

do

1. let it be become complicated naturally.
If I have to worry about 20 do's it is already too complicated.! ;)

Complexity 01-06-2009 03:41 AM

How about this?

DO make the tank your personal, unique style.

DON'T inhibit yourself with rules.

While I appreciate the sentiment of a do and don't list, it's hard enough for beginners to figure out how to grow plants no matter what the scape while those with more experience generally have their own style(s) and don't need a list.

I think the most important thing for each person to remember is to express their own selves and to make the tank become whatever feels good to them. It's their tank. While learning various techniques can help us all express ourselves in our tanks, there are no rules of what a person should do or should not do other than enjoy themselves.

deleted_user_16 01-06-2009 03:43 AM

#3 is a horrible one, even the top aquascapes in the world dont follow it

fishsandwitch 01-06-2009 03:53 AM

yeah, 3 is bad

fshfanatic 01-06-2009 03:57 AM

1: Dont over complicate things.
2: Have fun
3: if you like it that is all that counts.

Freon 01-06-2009 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Complexity (Post 757604)
How about this?

DO make the tank your personal, unique style.

DON'T inhibit yourself with rules.

While I appreciate the sentiment of a do and don't list, it's hard enough for beginners to figure out how to grow plants no matter what the scape while those with more experience generally have their own style(s) and don't need a list.

I think the most important thing for each person to remember is to express their own selves and to make the tank become whatever feels good to them. It's their tank. While learning various techniques can help us all express ourselves in our tanks, there are no rules of what a person should do or should not do other than enjoy themselves.

Couldn't agree more.

Raul-7 01-06-2009 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fshfanatic (Post 757622)

Exactly. Sometimes I feel that some people take it too far to the point that it has become more of an artwork than a hobby, IMO.

Rupey 01-06-2009 06:27 AM

Quote:

These three things are all that matters. #3 being the most important.

jinx© 01-06-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

:proud:

waterfaller1 01-06-2009 12:28 PM

The #3 on the 'don't' list would toss me out. I like the color.

Homer_Simpson 01-06-2009 04:56 PM

"Beauty is really in the Eye of the Beholder." IMHO the same applies to an Aquascape.

Complexity 01-06-2009 05:04 PM

Hey, Lee, don't let any of this get to you. I'm sure you were trying very hard to be helpful to others. It's just the nature of different opinions and viewpoints.

Planted tanks are like artwork in that some like Picasso while others like Rembrandt (and still others who like or dislike them both!).

Perhaps it would be better to call your list suggestions instead of rules. These are your suggestions of what makes a great scape while others have different suggestions. Overall, it opens the field up for each person to express their own preferences in their scapes. That diversity is one of the things that makes this hobby so interesting.

Lee 01-06-2009 07:58 PM

thanks complexity, I agree there are no absolute certain rules for aquascaping or life for that matter. This is why new things happen that we don't expect. This list was just something fun I put together and it's greatly tailored to how I think. But based on the feedback I don't think it was very helpful.