The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/)
-   Tank Journals (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/)
-   -   "Tranquility" - Mark's 90 Corner Bow Front (2012 Changes Coming!) (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/79643-tranquility-marks-90-corner-bow-front-2012-changes-coming.html)

dewalltheway 01-04-2009 07:17 PM

"Tranquility" - Mark's 90 Corner Bow Front (2012 Changes Coming!)
 
This journal is a combination of my 2 journals that I have links to in my sig. I started on New Years day and completed last night (with a few breaks in between of course) I started off first with tearing down my 90 gallon because I wanted to paint the back. The paint I used was a textured paint called canyon moss. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it but it turned out pretty good.
While this paint dried (6-7 hours) I tore down my 55 gallon. I cleaned 3-30gal tubs I had to put the fish and plants in. I ran my fluval filters in the tubs with the fish while I was doing everything else. I was able to get the tank set back up and the eco-complete from my 55 gallon into my 90 gal by late New Years night.
Friday and Saturday I spent the day setting up my equipment under the tank, aquascaping the tank and getting the fish acclimated to the new tank.

So here is what I ended up with (still need to add my erios to the front)....

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...y/P1041380.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...P1041372-1.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...y/P1041373.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...y/P1041378.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...y/P1041374.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...y/P1041376.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...y/P1041375.jpg

lauraleellbp 01-04-2009 07:25 PM

Looks awesome!

Those rainbows are gorgeous :thumbsup:

dewalltheway 01-04-2009 07:30 PM

Thanks Laura! I was sadden that in the move of all the fish that I lost one of my rainbows :icon_frow.

infinite07 01-04-2009 10:48 PM

Great looking tank. Too bad you lost one of your rainbows.

CL 01-04-2009 10:51 PM

It looks great. What are you doing with the 55? Upgrading it to a 75? ;)

Craigthor 01-04-2009 10:52 PM

Looking good. One suggestion though is I think the wood would look better coming out of the back corner. Looks a little out of place on the right side.

Craig

blazeyreef 01-04-2009 11:28 PM

looks very nice!

dewalltheway 01-04-2009 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clwatkins10 (Post 756472)
It looks great. What are you doing with the 55? Upgrading it to a 75? ;)

My plan is to turn my 55 into a Cichlid tank. I need to save up some money to buy a new light, substrate and a few other items. It is just sitting empty right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craigthor (Post 756474)
Looking good. One suggestion though is I think the wood would look better coming out of the back corner. Looks a little out of place on the right side.

Craig

Thanks for the suggestion Craig. I am hoping once the taller background plants grow in that this will look better where it is at. My concern was if I put it in the back corner and then planted my taller plants in front I would lose the look I was trying to get with the DW & rocks. Over time your suggestion may come reality

fishbguy1 01-05-2009 12:06 AM

This tank is gonna look awesome when it grows in! It's awesome!

How big are those boesmanis? They look Huge!

What did you end up doing with lighting? From the far away pic it look pretty bright...haha

What is the fish list for the tank?

dewalltheway 01-05-2009 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbguy1 (Post 756551)
This tank is gonna look awesome when it grows in! It's awesome!

How big are those boesmanis? They look Huge!

What did you end up doing with lighting? From the far away pic it look pretty bright...haha

What is the fish list for the tank?

Thanks man!
The one raindow that died I measured it and it was 4" long

As for the lighting, I had a 36" strip light with a 30watt, 10,000k bulb in it and a 24" double strip light with 2 15watt bulbs in it that was original on the 90 gallon. I kept those and added the double compact flouresent, Coralife light that was on my 55 gallon. This gives me a total of 320 watts for 3.5 watts/gal.

I will get a fauna and flora list posted sometime tomorrow.

dewalltheway 01-05-2009 12:59 PM

The one thing I hate about this tank is the unsightly view of the equipment. If someone has an idea to how I can better hide that stuff, please let me know. (Drilling the tank at this point is not an option)

crudnugget 01-06-2009 12:46 AM

You could get some Krylon Fusion spraypaint and paint it the same color as the background of your tank. Or try to cover it up with some stem plants. Not a whole lot else you can do...except maybe spending some big $$$ on some glass lily pipes.

Craigthor 01-06-2009 02:31 AM

Could always get a pair of acrylics. Also the Aquatic magic FLO pipes from e-bay can be had really cheap about $50 set shipped if you watch.

My vision with the wood coming out of the back would be to have the wood in the back with a tall stem surrounding the base of the wood. you could put several types and get a layered effect coming towards the front with the foreground being low. Also a touch of moss on a couple of the branches would highlight it. have the large rocks in the front edge scattered through the wood and giving you more angles.

Craig

sewingalot 01-06-2009 04:34 AM

Even with the equipment showing, you make this tank outstanding! I miss the 55, but I think I found a new tank to follow.

dewalltheway 01-06-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craigthor (Post 757591)
Could always get a pair of acrylics. Also the Aquatic magic FLO pipes from e-bay can be had really cheap about $50 set shipped if you watch.

My vision with the wood coming out of the back would be to have the wood in the back with a tall stem surrounding the base of the wood. you could put several types and get a layered effect coming towards the front with the foreground being low. Also a touch of moss on a couple of the branches would highlight it. have the large rocks in the front edge scattered through the wood and giving you more angles.

Craig

I will definitely keep this in mind and thanks for the vision. I understand what you are getting at and sounds like a good idea and would look good. If the background plants don't fill in like I want them to, I will go with your idea. Thanks!


Quote:

Originally Posted by sewingalot (Post 757702)
Even with the equipment showing, you make this tank outstanding! I miss the 55, but I think I found a new tank to follow.

Thanks! I hope this tank will look better then my 55. I do miss it as well but I cut my work in half and will be able to focus more on one tank. I hope I can still inspire people with this tank. I have heard it said that it is difficult to scape a corner tank, but I hope to prove that theory wrong


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.