The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Aquascaping (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Hows my aquascape? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=78719)

Craigthor 12-18-2008 12:02 PM

Hows my aquascape?

1 Attachment(s)
How is my scape? I know I need to still move the rocks about 3/4" to the right to hit the golden ratio.

Craig

imeridian 12-18-2008 12:19 PM

The golden rule is 'treat others as you wish to be treated.' ;) The golden ratio, sometimes referred to as the golden section, is what you're going for. :) The rule of thirds works well too as they're very similar in application.

I'd move the rock on the left a bit to the left, the rock on the right a bit more to the right. As they stand they're dividing the tank in half with that gap being the focal point instead of the crest of the rock on the right.

Craigthor 12-18-2008 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imeridian (Post 745567)
The golden rule is 'treat others as you wish to be treated.' ;) The golden ratio, sometimes referred to as the golden section, is what you're going for. :) The rule of thirds works well too as they're very similar in application.

I'd move the rock on the left a bit more to the left, the rock on the right a bit more to the right. As they stand they're dividing the tank in half with that gap being the focal point instead of the crest of the rock on the right.

Oops stand corrected Brain hasn't had coffee yet. Yeah I bumped the rocks when I was planting the UG and forgot to go back and fix them till after I added water. I will probably change out the water today when more plants arrive and fix it.

Craig

Naja002 12-18-2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imeridian (Post 745567)
I'd move the rock on the left a bit to the left,....

Definitely agreed. Not much 1/2"-1"...it's kind of hard to tell the scale. Personally, I'm not sure I would move the right rock to the right any more. Something is just a tad bit off about it for me, but may jump in place once the left rock is moved over. Either way, you could move the right rock back some and the front rock to the left a bit also.

Just my opinion...what I'm feeling. Looks good overall...should grow in nicely. :thumbsup:

Green Leaf Aquariums 12-18-2008 01:21 PM

Craig, is tat UG you have planted in there?

Orlando

Craigthor 12-18-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orlando (Post 745579)
Craig, is tat UG you have planted in there?

Orlando

Sure is.... its a bit lanky as the previous owner hadn't mowed it down and it took over his 2.5.

Craig

Green Leaf Aquariums 12-18-2008 01:39 PM

Is the plan to have a think carpet surrounding the rock? Do you plan to use any hairgrass or E. vivipara?

Orlando

P.S
We have an Aquascaping Forum!!!

Craigthor 12-18-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orlando (Post 745586)
Is the plan to have a think carpet surrounding the rock? Do you plan to use any hairgrass or E. vivipara?

Orlando

P.S
We have an Aquascaping Forum!!!

I've got some hairgrass not sure if I want to use it.

Also got the following plants coming:

Java Fern Mini
Anubia 'petite'
Mini pellia
dwarf ricca
Rotala mini 1
Lindernia sp India
Erio 'Aus'
Hydrocotyle Verticillata
Triangle Moss

Not usre what or how much I will use just like to have options to choose from.

Craig

kotoeloncat 12-18-2008 01:53 PM

I would think moving all the rock to the far right and make it sorta like a "pride rock" (lion king) kind of formation will look better.

at the moment it looks kind of choked

Green Leaf Aquariums 12-18-2008 01:54 PM

I like the plant list, but Im not sure how the stem plants will work in the scape. With mini pellia and dwarf riccia and moss maybe hairgrass would be the way to go?

Orlando

GulfCoastAquarian 12-18-2008 02:42 PM

The large rock on the right looks menacing. It is frightening the smaller rocks. LOL

Seriously, though, that's the first thing that came to my mind. Looks good, though!

Craigthor 12-18-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orlando (Post 745592)
I like the plant list, but Im not sure how the stem plants will work in the scape. With mini pellia and dwarf riccia and moss maybe hairgrass would be the way to go?

Orlando

Yeah, that is why ordered a ton of stuff to work with so I can lay it all out

Craig

Craigthor 12-18-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GulfCoastAquarian (Post 745612)
The large rock on the right looks menacing. It is frightening the smaller rocks. LOL

Seriously, though, that's the first thing that came to my mind. Looks good, though!

Yeah, I can see that I need to fix it here in abit.

Craig

GulfCoastAquarian 12-18-2008 03:13 PM

Maybe just flip it right where it stands, so that all rocks are facing in the same direction? Typical geologic formations that result from subduction, where you see the horizontal layers in the rock jutting up out of the earth.

Craigthor 12-18-2008 03:33 PM

Well I did some readjusting of all 3 rocks and am filling the tank back up now.

As far as plants thinking of keeping just UG if I can find some more for the rest of the tank and some dwarf ricca and/ or mini pellia. Kind of want to use a Mini java fern attached to the point on the tall rock maybe aswell.

Had to add some more AS Powder around the rocks after moving them but I think I like it. I will take some pics in abit as I fill from a 5g bucket sitting upto and use airline to slowly fill the tank so as to not disturb too much of the tank.

Craig