The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Plants (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Brazilian Sword, true aquatic? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77242)

Trio123 11-20-2008 09:23 PM

Brazilian Sword, true aquatic?

I have a Brazilian Sword plant that I have read is not aquatic and will die a few months after placement in the tank... I've had it for 4 months and it's not dead yet (even with my hair algae out break). Not that I want it to die, it looks good but I am just confused because I see there are threads about them on the forum and no one seems to respond with, "hey stupid thier not aquatic". Actually sounds like most people's are growing just fine.:confused1:

Tinanti 11-20-2008 10:28 PM

You read right. It will take quite a while to die, but it's not going to survive.

lescarpentier 11-21-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinanti (Post 728907)
You read right. It will take quite a while to die, but it's not going to survive.

That is incorrect.:)

They are in fact true aquatic plants,and they can be grown either fully or partially submersed.

chikit2370 11-21-2008 11:29 AM

Yep, these plants have a submerge and emersed form.

Daniel*Swords 11-21-2008 12:09 PM

If you mean Spathiphyllum sp., aka. peace lily, with the Brazilian sword then the above is news to me. I have never heard it having a submersed form. Neither have I heard it will survive under water.

Tinanti 11-21-2008 02:30 PM

Thank you Daniel. I too was surprised to hear that a plant that eventually dies and rots for most people can be grown submersed for others. That is, of course, unless they have confused it with an Echinodorus.

Trio123 11-21-2008 05:56 PM

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...ord-plant.html

This is what I saw... maybe it's a common name problem, two different plants with same common name? I was wondering if there was some way to make it survive (pull it out for a season and put it in a mini terrarium?) just curious.

Daniel*Swords 11-21-2008 06:15 PM

I think they are discussing the Amazon sword (Echinodorus grisebachii, ex-bleherae, ex-amazonicus, ex-parviflorus) there, or maybe the first person asked about a Helanthium species (ex-Echinodorus bolivianus, ex-E. tenellus, etc.). The Spathiphyllum species make sideshoots from the rhizome/stem but not plantlets or runners.

lescarpentier 11-21-2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel*Swords (Post 729336)
If you mean Spathiphyllum sp., aka. peace lily, with the Brazilian sword then the above is news to me. I have never heard it having a submersed form. Neither have I heard it will survive under water.

I was referring to this plant.
Echinodorus Bleheri

Daniel*Swords 11-21-2008 07:56 PM

Ah, that explains it! :) What I've learned is that E. bleherae is usually called Broad-leafed Amazon Sword.

Trio123 12-19-2008 02:08 PM

Sorry to revive my old thread but I have a follow up question for you wise planted tanked tank experts.

I think the plant I have is Spathiphyllum tasson or the Peace Lily. Apparently it will grow submersed for months. My question is about the little tank I just set up for my African Dwarf Frogs. The tank is like a makeshift vivarium, water level is at about 6 inches. I know that peace lilies are the plant that was used for that crazy betta in a vase fad... so can they grow with their roots submerged and their leaves out of the water? Anyone have any experience with this?

Daniel*Swords 12-19-2008 02:34 PM

I'm all for reviving an old thread if the subject is the same. It's much easier to find them later! :)

I had a Spathiphyllum wallisii growing with just roots in water & the crown of the plant at the surface. It did well this way. The roots grew into the filter foam I had used for a DIY filter. Hope this helps.

Trio123 12-19-2008 02:45 PM

oh that does help! thanks for the quick response. I actually have a bare bottom (makes it easier for the frog to find thier food and keep the tank clean) so I was wondering what I could for the plant roots to anchor. Right now it is still potted but I think that may prevent the roots from growing.

lauraleellbp 12-20-2008 04:34 AM

Actually, I think it would do better potted (in substrate, not rock wool since that has the potential cause problems for livestock and filters) than loose in a bare-bottomed tank, if that's what you're asking?

Trio123 12-20-2008 04:53 AM

actually i was going to do like Daniel Swords did, "the roots grew into the filter foam". So I was going to cut a hole in a foam block and rubber band the plant in there until it grew roots into the block, and the pot does have rock wool.