The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Important Update/Announcements (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Banners in Signature... (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70817)

KyleT 08-01-2008 12:31 AM

Banners in Signature...

As much as I dislike to add yet *another* rule to our list, I just gotta' do it.

From now on all banners that are "for profit" endeavors are disallowed *unless* you are the owner of the endeavor and specifically PM me for permission.

Unobtrusive text links are still fine as are banners for "Non Profit" organizations (such as NJAGC for example).

Before the uproar let me explain my reasoning. I am doing (just like I always do) what I believe is best for the overall forum. The sponsors payments pay a hefty chunk of the costs that are involved with running such a large forum. I would be "peeved" if I paid to be a sponsor only to see someone else's banner plastered throughout the forum on other people's signatures. It simply isn't fair to them.

The rule is in place now but obviously we can't expect everyone to comply immediately. People don't sign on every night rabidly checking the announcement. There will be a "break in" period after which I will start asking people nicely to remove them.

Thank you for understanding.
- Kyle

CL 08-01-2008 01:05 AM

I had wondered about this for a while. I think that your actions are 100% justified ;)

i love planted tanks 08-01-2008 01:42 AM

that does sound very fair

OverStocked 08-01-2008 01:58 AM

I concur. As I am starting up a business of my own here shortly and would like to contribute as a sponsor, I would feel slightly cheated knowing I could have just pursuaded 10 members to put my banner up for free!

I have a banner below mine and quite honestly am pondering removing it, despite my loyalty to that site. I think that reducing the size even further may be necessary, but that is just my opinion.

waterfaller1 08-02-2008 11:00 PM

So Orlando's banner has to be deleted too, even though he is a sponsor?

Church 08-02-2008 11:06 PM

^ No he said if you are the owner and have his permission it's cool, but no one else can have his banner.

TBH, I was waiting for this to happen. I love Orlando but it's actually confusing to me sometimes when I see all these green leaf tags everywhere, and I sometimes think it's HIM making posts but it's not.

waterfaller1 08-03-2008 01:30 AM

Is this ok?:)

mattd390 08-04-2008 02:16 AM

Makes sense to me!

Robert H 08-07-2008 07:30 PM

I was wondering why people were being asked to remove my banner from their signature when nothing was being said about Rex Grigg or Orlando, or others. Equal discrimination is fine by me.

SCMurphy 08-11-2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert H (Post 662524)
I was wondering why people were being asked to remove my banner from their signature when nothing was being said about Rex Grigg or Orlando, or others. Equal discrimination is fine by me.

No, the sponsor vs. no longer a sponsor situation was completely different from this.

milalic 08-11-2008 06:24 PM

any size information on banners?

Gatekeeper 08-11-2008 06:47 PM

Same as they have always been...

Please see Sig Rules

migs_hernan 11-28-2013 08:18 AM

I think mine is ok. :)