The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   New Hampshire (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Any great freshwater Shops in southern NH (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61251)

Rhino 03-10-2008 02:41 PM

Any great freshwater Shops in southern NH

Any suggestions on a freshwater shop in southern nh? all the ones I have found are either generic or big on salt water. Im really trying to find a good place to find plants and will be starting up a new tank soon. Any Suggestions will be appreciated.

abwalker 05-03-2008 02:01 AM

So far as I can tell there's nothing. If you're in Nashua, you could try Textile Aquarium in Lowell. Its worth making a call before you go down there, since he keeps really strange hours. I don't remember the shop having a lot of plants but it isn't generic and has very healthy fish.

I assume you've tried Family Pet and Aquarium (?) off of Exit 7, near Market Basket. They are quite small and not fish-specific, but they had some plants last time I was there.

HTH,
Abby

Iggins 05-29-2008 12:18 AM

pet city in seabrook is good, the owner and senior employees are way into planted tanks and they try to keep a steady supply of plants. seaworld in...salem? NH, near the rockingham mall is mostly saltwater, but its huge and they usually have alot of plants also. pet city in seabrook is my favorite fish place, i love the people there, and hang out and chat with them about algae and water and all that nerd stuff my friends don't want to hear, lol.

bishop169 08-15-2008 03:10 PM

I like seaworld in salem they do have a big salt section but there fresh is a good size

You have to get past the old shabby look of the place. I've never had an issue with plants or fish that i got there

jeepn4x4 12-05-2008 07:37 PM

Probably already heard of it but in Hudson NH there is a newer store called The Aquarium Gallery. They specilize in saltwater. They do have freashwater but it does come second to the saltwater.

Driftwoody 06-27-2009 06:47 PM

I found a new place (to me) last week. Have you ever been to Pet Junction in Dover? It's a small shop, but they have a surprisingly good selection of fish (fresh and salt) and a few plants. I wasn't expecting much when I walked in, so I was pleasantly surprised.

J.farrand 07-24-2010 07:50 PM

Pet junction in Somersworth, NH is one of the best! The owner had picks his fish and unless they are great quality he does not buy them. Also Little critter pet shop in Exeter is good quality fish. If you want to network in NH check out the New Hampshire Aquarium Soceity. Meetings start in September every second wednesday. The annual auction is also in that month. I will be bringing alot of different plants to auction. Any questions about planted tanks I can give what knowledge I have. Since joining this site I am realizing I have tons more to learn! However, I think I'm doing well so far.

Gplus 05-23-2012 12:26 PM

Jays Aquatics In Salem NH. They have a few planted but their freshwater fish selection is great! They work with a lot of local shrimp/fish breeders to bring in the best quality stuff! They use to have more freshwater up front by the salt but they've recently moved all the fresh to the back room. Great place all in all though! Worth checking out! If you go to their website they list all their not fresh and saltwater livestock as It comes in!

http://jaysaquatics.net/

stsalerno 07-30-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gplus (Post 1873702)
Jays Aquatics In Salem NH. They have a few planted but their freshwater fish selection is great! They work with a lot of local shrimp/fish breeders to bring in the best quality stuff! They use to have more freshwater up front by the salt but they've recently moved all the fresh to the back room. Great place all in all though! Worth checking out! If you go to their website they list all their not fresh and saltwater livestock as It comes in!

Thanks for this recommendation. I read your post last Friday and decided to check them out this weekend. HUGE saltwater selection. The freshwater section was decent and the prices seemed pretty reasonable. I just did a quick run through because my boyfriend was with me and he rushes me in pet stores because he gets bored as soon as he walks through the door. Hopefully I'll be able to stop by without him soon and actually check everything out.

mfskarphedin 12-11-2012 06:00 PM

I read Seaworld Pet Center in Salem, NH closed? True? Sad, if so, because they had a great selection of many unusual freshwater fish, very healthy. Oh, I loved my Giant Kuhlis (Slimey Myersi) from them! They lived into their early teens.

And NO funky algae in their tanks.

Yes, they sold puppies, but I hadn't taken the "No Puppies" pledge way back then.

stsalerno 02-18-2013 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfskarphedin (Post 2106623)
I read Seaworld Pet Center in Salem, NH closed? True? Sad, if so, because they had a great selection of many unusual freshwater fish, very healthy. Oh, I loved my Giant Kuhlis (Slimey Myersi) from them! They lived into their early teens.

And NO funky algae in their tanks.

Yes, they sold puppies, but I hadn't taken the "No Puppies" pledge way back then.

Yes they are closed.

ggsteve 02-18-2013 02:19 AM

I followed my GPS to the Aquarium Gallery address in Hudson, NH and it's gone too. On the web it says the site name is for sale.

If you want to support an old school mom and pop LFS go to the Fishbowl on the oval in Milford, NH. Tiny little shop but they do have a 40 gallon tank of real aquatic plants, unlike the terrarium crap at the big boxes.

genocdex 03-22-2013 04:11 AM

i might be late and this might be far but zoo creatures in plaistow nh has about 50/50 fresh and salt. and a decent amount of plants. i havent been there in a while but if frank is still working (kinda a bit of abrasive personality) but he knows his stuff.

mfskarphedin 03-22-2013 12:11 PM

I've got some pics of Zoo Creatures' tanks from my last, and i mean LAST visit, but they'd get deleted like my last comment in this thread about the condition of their tanks. Like this one will get deleted!

I prefer the Petco in Dover.

Seadon 04-10-2014 01:32 PM

I like the Fish Bowl in Milford...theres a new one opening in my town...manchester that I plan on supporting...I will have to check facebook for the name again and I will post back here...I think its open now. Where specifically are you from?