The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hawaii (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Anubias melting and dying. (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=600210)

stan71 04-06-2014 07:44 PM

Anubias melting and dying.
 
Has anybody experience there anubias melting and dying? My anubias nana petite is losing its leaves and the rhizome is getting soft going to pull it out later today.
This is second one I lost in the same location the first anubias died seems strange my other anubias nana are ok one of them sprouted a new leaf.
I did experienced this before with a Petsmart anubias but I figured they werent grown underwater so thats why it melted.
I browsed this forum and the web and found thats its some kind of disease and no cure.

greaser84 04-06-2014 09:16 PM

Do you have pictures of the sick and healthy plants you can post? Is the rhizome on the sick plant buried in the substrate? I would think that if you had two of the same plant in the same location die, it might be something in your tank.

daboss808 04-06-2014 10:33 PM

Usually when that happens there are several reasons

1. Shock
2. Burn
3 disease

Usually it's shock so what I do is instead of tying them to a log or rock I place them directly into the substrate. This helps produce root growth.

stan71 04-07-2014 12:46 AM

I have tied to some driftwood will post some pics later


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

stan71 04-07-2014 07:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I did some tank maintenance today and found another anubias melting. I removed both from the tank and removed all the melted parts from both plants.
I put both plants in another container with an air stone hopefully they recover the nana looks the best.
Also both anubias was bought at the same time about three weeks ago.


Attachment 301874
This one is from the petite
Attachment 301882
Regular anubias nana
Attachment 301890
The two anubias nana on the bottom are both healthy the one on the left has brown alagae.

daboss808 04-07-2014 07:57 AM

Algae could be your problem. Any use of co2? What about nutrients? What is your ppm status?

BruceF 04-07-2014 01:19 PM

I find anubias responds well to higher levels of phosphate.

roadmaster 04-07-2014 01:41 PM

Next to last photo appear's the rhizone was tore off of possibly another plant and this may play a part in the plant's health.
I use a razor blade to make clean cut's at an angle when I remove a portion to place somehwere else.
Also has been reported that some grow facilities spray their plant's which are nearly alway's grown with root's in water,leaves above water, to keep insect's from damaging the plant's. (leaves).
Doesn't matter that the plant's from store tank's are submerged ,for they likely were not before arriving.
This spraying of the plant's has been suspect in more than a few instances where anubia's just rotted away despite good CO2/fertilizer's.

stan71 04-08-2014 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daboss808 (Post 5715618)
Algae could be your problem. Any use of co2? What about nutrients? What is your ppm status?

Ammonia 0,Nitrites 0,Nitrates 0,GH 75,KH 80 and PH 7.4. No co2 and I used Aqueon liquid plant food and flourish root tabs.
Also right now I filled the quarantine tank with untreated water,an airstone and added some erythromycin hope for the best:icon_smil

stan71 04-08-2014 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadmaster (Post 5716242)
Next to last photo appear's the rhizone was tore off of possibly another plant and this may play a part in the plant's health.
I use a razor blade to make clean cut's at an angle when I remove a portion to place somehwere else.
Also has been reported that some grow facilities spray their plant's which are nearly alway's grown with root's in water,leaves above water, to keep insect's from damaging the plant's. (leaves).
Doesn't matter that the plant's from store tank's are submerged ,for they likely were not before arriving.
This spraying of the plant's has been suspect in more than a few instances where anubia's just rotted away despite good CO2/fertilizer's.

Yea it was me I tore the rotten pieces of I thought the plant was toast then I realized some of the rhizome wasn't soft and mushy.:icon_sad:

daboss808 04-08-2014 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stan71 (Post 5722506)
Ammonia 0,Nitrites 0,Nitrates 0,GH 75,KH 80 and PH 7.4. No co2 and I used Aqueon liquid plant food and flourish root tabs.
Also right now I filled the quarantine tank with untreated water,an airstone and added some erythromycin hope for the best:icon_smil

What is your ppm? Tds levels. What is your light t5 HO? Tryin to figure out what could be the problem. Anubias is a low light plant little or med light is sufficent. Co2 can be through fish or any living thing in the tank. I use osmocote for ferts it's the best I used by far. Healthy reaction and very little plant deaths

stan71 04-08-2014 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daboss808 (Post 5722682)
What is your ppm? Tds levels. What is your light t5 HO? Tryin to figure out what could be the problem. Anubias is a low light plant little or med light is sufficent. Co2 can be through fish or any living thing in the tank. I use osmocote for ferts it's the best I used by far. Healthy reaction and very little plant deaths

Im sorry Daboss I don't know what tds levels is and what ppm levels you are asking for,but my ammonia,nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 5 to 10 ppm.
Sorry I put 0 nitrates in my last post.
The light is a Marineland led double bright was thinking to upgrading to a better light no co2 was planning to use Flourish exel to help with algae.

daboss808 04-08-2014 09:34 PM

Tds is total dissolve solids. Basically minerals and heavy metals.

daboss808 04-08-2014 10:18 PM

It's seems your Anubias is in shock and because it's a slow growing plant more will die before you get growing results. Disturbing the roots and the plant itself causes it to go more in shock. I would try not to fuss with it too much and takes Bruce advice put lil more phosphate in your tank

Zapins 04-08-2014 10:53 PM

This is not a deficiency. It is almost certainly anubias disease which rots the rhizome and the base of the stems, then later attacks leaf tissue. It seems to spread by contact with infected parts of the plants. It is potentially caused by a slow moving plant eating worm (though this needs to be verified by microscopy). There are no known cures, but aggressive pruning of diseased areas can save plants if you catch it early. Be sure to clean the blade between each cut or you will infect healthy tissue and cut into the "healthy" areas around the infected parts or the disease is likely to keep spreading.

The only other ways anubias are damaged like this where the stem becomes mushy is by improper shipping (wet conditions for too long, or when temperature is too high or low during shipping, this promotes opportunistic fungal attacks).


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.