The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fish (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Ich in a planted tank. (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=571026)

Vino 03-04-2014 11:25 PM

Ich in a planted tank.

I have a planted 29g that has been going strong since Oct. I recently added some Black Tetras to the tank (in additon to present occupants). Almost a week later (today) I notice that my Tetras has white spots. I assume this is Ich.

My question is, how do I treat the Ich without killing or damaging my plants??

I know I should have used a quarentine tank, and I certainly will get one for future additions, but I need to deal with this problem now.

Any help would be greatly apprecitated.

kman 03-04-2014 11:44 PM

Kordon's Ich Attack. Safe for plants, shrimp, snails, etc. Won't hurt anything in your tank.

Yank out your activated carbon (if you use one) or Purigen and use as instructed. Approx 2 weeks later, all should be well.

thelub 03-04-2014 11:59 PM

Assuming its ich won't get you very far. You should determine if it is in fact ich and then go from there.

Minor ich outbreaks can be easily treated by elevated temperatures (86-88) along with a 3 day blackout. NO salt or meds necessary. We do this at the shop when we get ich and so far we have 100% success rate.

Vino 03-05-2014 12:16 AM

Ill look into the Kordans.

As for the black out, should I actually cover the entire aquarium so no ambient light gets in? Or does shutting off my light for 3 days constitute as a "blackout"?

kman 03-05-2014 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelub (Post 5462290)
Assuming its ich won't get you very far. You should determine if it is in fact ich and then go from there.

Minor ich outbreaks can be easily treated by elevated temperatures (86-88) along with a 3 day blackout. NO salt or meds necessary. We do this at the shop when we get ich and so far we have 100% success rate.

Not all plants are high temp friendly, but most would likely survive a short window like that. It'd have to be a pretty minor outbreak for a 3 day heat cycle to kill it. Most heat treatment regimens call for at least a week, or 3-4 days after the last spot disappears.

Vino 03-05-2014 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kman (Post 5462530)
Not all plants are high temp friendly, but most would likely survive a short window like that. It'd have to be a pretty minor outbreak for a 3 day heat cycle to kill it. Most heat treatment regimens call for at least a week, or 3-4 days after the last spot disappears.

Today is the first day that I have spotted the SPOTS. And they are not too bad, only a couple spots per Tetra (the other fish inthe tank have no spots..yet).

I have turned up the heat to the mid to high 80s. Anything else I can do in the meantime until I can get some meds?

kman 03-05-2014 12:52 AM

That should do it. There some who say salt helps also, but there's debate about that, and it's definitely harder on your plants (and inverts).

Seems like you caught it early so the Kordon's should be 100% effective. Check the instructions, though, not sure if you're supposed to combine with heat or not.

If your temps are in the mid-to-high 80s you should consider adding an airstone, as water that worm doesn't hold oxygen as well. (only need it while temps are high; yank it back out once all is well again)

jrman83 03-05-2014 12:59 AM

Kordon Rid Ich + or Quick Cure has always worked for me and have had no effect on plants. No need to change temps. Usually gone by day 3, but you treat a full ich cycle (3-4 days) beyond last sign. Can't speak for danger to inverts though.

pantherspawn 03-05-2014 01:03 AM

Keep the heat up for a few weeks, around 89, and aerate the water. That's all you really need to do for ich. Monitor the fish and make sure to remove any that show severe signs into a qt tank that can be dosed with aquarium salt or meds.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Aqualady 03-05-2014 01:11 AM

I am currently getting rid of ich in my planted tank. At first, I turned the heat to 85 with airstone....but I woke up to some plants shedding leaves daily...of course I turned the heat back down and began dosing Kordon's Rid-Ich plus, 5ml per 10g. Although my repens suffered really bad, bad enough I had to cut all the way down.... I am happy to say the ich is about gone.....

pantherspawn 03-05-2014 01:34 AM

Plants will recover.. A tank treated with chemicals will never again be chemical free. Just keep that in mind. My .02

kman 03-05-2014 01:47 AM

^^ That's why the Kordon's Ich Attack is a good option. All natural, nothing bad for fish, plants or inverts in it. No need to risk damaging plants with heat. And it works.

pantherspawn 03-05-2014 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kman (Post 5463258)
^^ That's why the Kordon's Ich Attack is a good option. All natural, nothing bad for fish, plants or inverts in it. No need to risk damaging plants with heat. And it works.

It's just a difference of opinion, but I would disagree. Adding any outside source to your tank is a bad idea. "all organic" or not. Ich is present in every tank. It's only under stress and bad water conditions that it becomes prevalent. Nothing gets rid of ich permanently, so In my opinion, it's best to avoid adding anything to your tank that shouldn't be there naturally. Because the chance of it affecting the balance of your contained echo system is just asking for trouble. Again, this is my opinion and can be taken or left.

Vino 03-05-2014 02:42 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies and gentlemen.

Seeing as though I already have a low tech tank (medium lighting, some liquid ferts and Excel- Not actual pumped in CO2), I will be going the route of no added chems from medications. Ill leave the heat up and an airstone in.

Im sure Ill have questions as things develop, and hopefully they wont develop negatively.

Vino 03-05-2014 02:48 AM

One more thing. Should I be incresing my water changes during this process (high heat and air stone- no meds)?

I just did a water change last night (30-40%), and I do one of those once a week. Is it safe to continue as usual, or to increase the frequency?