The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Tank Journals (
-   -   Unirdna's 46g Bowfront - Terminated - 03/2004 - 03/2007 (

unirdna 03-05-2004 06:49 AM

Unirdna's 46g Bowfront - Terminated - 03/2004 - 03/2007
Hi All,

First I must say that without this site, I would have had no chance at this project. Many thanks go out to all who have aided me in the past 2 months (you know who you are ;) ). I'll be a 'supporting member' as soon as my bank account recovers :roll: .

Here's the setup. I've also included prices for any other newbies wondering where I got all the gear. I know that many of you veterans don't give two craps about gear (bring on the plants!), but I know the 'new' guys will want to know. I'm sure that some components could have been found/made for less money, but all-in-all I think I did o.k.

Tank - Stand - Glass top = $300 - LFS
Eheim ECCO 2236 (new) = $86 shipped w/media - eBay
JBJ Regulator w/ sol (new) = $90 shipped - eBay
Milwaukee SMS122 (used) = $82 shipped - eBay
CO2 Reactor (DIY) = $0 - leftover stuff
JBJ 192w PC Light = $205 shipped - eBay
Background (Krylon) = $4 - Walmart
Valves, tubing, PVC, etc. = $20 - Home Depot
5 lb CO2 tank (filled) = $47 - Local Welding Supply
Eco-complete (5 bags) = $110 - LFS
Hydor Heater = $46 shipped - eBay

Anyway, enough lamenting about greenbacks.....I've wanted a planted tank since I was 15....this is gonna be great :D!

Here's a few shots of me setting it up tonight. Plants to be intro'd this weekend. I look forward to your comments and recommendations.

chinaboy1021 03-05-2004 07:03 AM

awesome looking tank. i love the stone wall.

cich 03-05-2004 07:56 AM

*Drooling* I love the equipment :) A very nice setup you have there, particulary the inline heater. Is that a DIY CO2 reactor? I'm guessing so, because although it looks very professional, it doesn't look too mass-produced, if you know what I mean...

Tonyd 03-05-2004 03:18 PM

Looking good, can't wait to see it with the plants.

wellbiz 03-05-2004 03:59 PM

:shock: :shock: :shock: Nice...

plantastic28 03-06-2004 05:05 PM

He says the co2 reactor is made from left over stuff in his discription.

unirdna 03-07-2004 04:19 AM

Here are a few lovelies I picked up a few hours ago. Nothing is planted yet because I'm still waiting on my driftwood. I figure there is no harm letting the plants get a jump start before I'm ready to start painting. They have already started bubbling. I don't know if this is O2 created via photosynthesis, or if it's just coming out of solution.....but it's very nice-looking, either way. Question for you plant gurus: my dwarf hairgrass came with some kind of moss lining the top of the plastic pot. It's bubbling like crazy (see photo). Any idea what this is? Any ideas how to make use of it? Any reasons why I shouldn't?

Nitrates and Phosphates are both @ zero. From most of the posts I've read, it is my understanding that you want to start out with stem plants to absorb N and P. Are these nutrients eventually going to show up (for some reason I can't figure out), or does that fact that I used 100% reconstituted RO water make my situation different from the norm?

Not so sure about all the plants....definitely gonna screw up spelling. Feel free to jump in, if I messed up too bad :)

1. Ambulia
2. Ludwegia sp?
3. baby tears (latin?)
4. Cambomba sp?
5. Wisteria sp?
6. Dwarf hairgrass (latin?)
7. Jungle vals (latin?)

Other recommendations? I still have a few ducats left in the coffers.

Raul-7 03-07-2004 08:17 PM

Just curious how many inches did the 3 bags of Eco-Complete you?

trenac 03-07-2004 08:18 PM

very nice setup. :)

unirdna 03-07-2004 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Raul-7
Just curious how many inches did the 3 bags of Eco-Complete you?

I'm @ ~ 2.5 inches. I'm thinking of adding one more bag. What's $20 more, once I'm at this stage of the game :)?

....and thanks for the compliments on the tank/gear....but the real test is whether or not I can make it 'work' :twisted: ...hehe

Wasserpest 03-08-2004 02:02 AM

Looks like you are off to a great start! :D Nice plant selection, should be able to fill some space quickly, before algae becomes a problem.
Not sure what the green stuff is, but my guess is that the Hairgrass was grown emers and some terrestric moss has grown on the pot. Time will tell, maybe you found the perfect Nano-Moss? 8)

Mike 03-08-2004 02:47 AM

Nice tank and equipment. I'm looking forward to getting an Ehiem canister someday :up:

corigan 03-08-2004 03:14 AM

Very Nice, I can't wait to see it when it's filled in. Great Arrangement.

unirdna 03-08-2004 03:56 AM

A couple new additions to the tank :). Also, the ambulia has shown significant growth in just one day :? . Is this normal (see photo ;) )?

cich 03-08-2004 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by plantastic28

He says the co2 reactor is made from left over stuff in his discription.

*HUGE blush* I guess I should read before I start shooting off my mouth...