The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Build My LED (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   Horticulture Lighting website (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=529994)

Build My LED 01-17-2014 11:04 PM

Horticulture Lighting website

If you grow plants above water, check out the website for our horticulture lighting division :-)

http://www.bmlhorticulture.com/

Nick

KenP 02-12-2014 04:27 AM

A somewhat interesting story. I use this forum due to my interest in shrimp. I never paid much attention to advertisers or vendors and kept my blinders on to stay focused on the shrimp. The other day while on the forum I was thinking about trying LED lights for a new orchid setup when I noticed a link for BML. I chatted with Nick via email and telephone and he provided a LED design for my new and existing orchid setups. The interesting part of the story, at least for me, is the suggested LED's are the XB series. The XB series are in the aquarium section not their new Hort. section. The XB's provide greater PAR for the distances I have using less units and a nice $$$. 2-36" and 2-48" instead of three of each. After taxes I hope to have $ for the 36" units. If they are as good as they say I will upgrade the to the 48" as well.

Cara@BML 02-18-2014 07:13 PM

I'd love to see pics of the orchids under these lights, KenP! I have a new paludarium project that will include orchids and haven't decided on spectrum yet so I'd love feedback.

Cheers,

Cara

KenP 02-19-2014 12:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture i sent to Nick. Over crowded yes but that is life in the plant world. Always one more plant to buy. That is why i getting another tank.

1tank1man 02-19-2014 01:22 AM

LOL if you only had a few poison dart frogs your tank would start to look like mine LOL (except I have bromeliads and mosses, but im with you, I over crowd for just one more plant lol)

Cara@BML 02-26-2014 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenP (Post 5349746)
Here is a picture i sent to Nick. Over crowded yes but that is life in the plant world. Always one more plant to buy. That is why i getting another tank.

Ooooooohhhh. If you're ever too overcrowded with any of those mini's wood-mounted in the back and want to sell a few to a new home, please let me know. :)

KenP 02-26-2014 10:31 PM

We will see. If you make it out to nj... Is Pasadena, Texas near you? I was looking to buy from Clown Alley Orchids.

nayr 02-27-2014 08:09 AM

can 2 spydr 600's (both start & grow) be combined to make a single 1200w equivalent for a 4x4 area?

johnson18 02-28-2014 03:11 AM

That's an impressive collection Ken! I've been doing some research lately on keeping orchids. I don't have any yet, just trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can before I take the dive. I've been talking with Cara about a fixture for my riparium over the last few days. I have a sneaking suspicion we are basing my light off of yours! :) How are you liking your new fixture?

Cara@BML 02-28-2014 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenP (Post 5412282)
We will see. If you make it out to nj... Is Pasadena, Texas near you? I was looking to buy from Clown Alley Orchids.

I must look into this Clown Alley Orchids immediately! Okay, not immediately...after I answer everyone's emails and forum posts. :)

Build My LED 03-05-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nayr (Post 5416098)
can 2 spydr 600's (both start & grow) be combined to make a single 1200w equivalent for a 4x4 area?

Hi Nayr. Yes. However, that will create very high light levels over a 4x4;)

Nick

KenP 03-05-2014 09:21 PM

Johnson18 i do not have a blm fixture yet. I am using 12x23 watt cfl's and 2x28 watt ho t5's. They are providing adequate light to over winter my orchids in the 48" terrarium. I grow them outside late spring to early fall. I am buying a 36" wide by 36" high sometime this year. I will purchase the blm lights then, 2x36" xb's. If they are as good as advertised i will replace the cfl's on the 48" with the xb's. The cfl's will end up in the basement with the two 55 gal orchid/fern tanks replacing the shop lights.

johnson18 03-06-2014 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenP (Post 5469770)
Johnson18 i do not have a blm fixture yet. I am using 12x23 watt cfl's and 2x28 watt ho t5's. They are providing adequate light to over winter my orchids in the 48" terrarium. I grow them outside late spring to early fall. I am buying a 36" wide by 36" high sometime this year. I will purchase the blm lights then, 2x36" xb's. If they are as good as advertised i will replace the cfl's on the 48" with the xb's. The cfl's will end up in the basement with the two 55 gal orchid/fern tanks replacing the shop lights.

Cool, cool. Well I just ordered a 36" XB series that has a light spectrum that was put together recently for a guy and his orchid collection. I will be using it above my riparium, although I'm very interested to see how this same light would work for an emersed crypt tank. I actually posted the spectrum report for this light on pg. 16 of my 20L riparium tank journal. The BML light is replacing a 30" t5ho with two 6700k bulbs. Feel free to check it out! I will definitely be doing regular updates and feedback on this particular light spectrum as I am only the second person to get it. I had to practice some serious self control yesterday not to go ahead and order two of these lights right off the bat!! If you've never talked to the folks at BML, they are super nice & seem to be extremely knowledgeable.

KenP 03-06-2014 11:36 PM

Hello Johnson 18. Your lights are the same spec they recommended for me. I will be checking out your riparium tank journal.

This is for Cara. The XB spectrum report is for a planted tank. When will the software be available for a hort purposes?

Cara@BML 03-21-2014 11:24 PM

Hi Ken,

You can build horticultural lights with our drag-and-drop Configurator, in addition to aquatic plant and reef lighting...we build quite a few custom spectrums for horticultural purposes. The only thing you cannot currently do within the Configurator is select XB Series rather than Original Series, so if you want the higher-output XB LEDs you'll need to send me your custom spectrum report and I can enter the order manually. Did this answer your question? If not, let me know!

Cheers,

Cara

ps--If you're in the Austin area this weekend, stop by the Heart of Texas Orchid Society's annual show at Zilker Botanical Gardens...I'll be there and have some of the orchid spectrums on display!