The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Help with fluval 406 input/output (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=481986)

Sajacobs 11-17-2013 03:48 PM

Help with fluval 406 input/output

I could use some input. I do biweekly filter cleanings on my fluval due to heavy bio load. Lately I've noticed it's getting harder to reattach the input/output back onto the filter. The red locking mechanism doesn't want to side into a locking position. I've tried everything with repositioning the input/output to get it to line up. Today I almost broke the red locking tab. What am I doing wrong? Should I add some lubricant to help it? I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

Aqguy 11-17-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajacobs (Post 4692154)
I could use some input. I do biweekly filter cleanings on my fluval due to heavy bio load. Lately I've noticed it's getting harder to reattach the input/output back onto the filter. The red locking mechanism doesn't want to side into a locking position. I've tried everything with repositioning the input/output to get it to line up. Today I almost broke the red locking tab. What am I doing wrong? Should I add some lubricant to help it? I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

You need to lube the O-Rings and it will slide in easy try a very small amount of Vaseline only enough to lube the ring.
On my 406 I replaced the stock hoses with 5/8 vinyl works so much better.

xmas_one 11-17-2013 08:33 PM

Something is very wrong with your setup if you need to clean your canister filter twice a week.

Sajacobs 11-17-2013 09:47 PM

Aqguy - thanks. I'll do that. I haven't lubed the o ring in a long time.

Xmas- I clean once every two weeks. Not twice a week. Nothing wrong with my set up. I have 5 large goldfish in 120g. The fluval (which is one of 3 filters) is too small for this set up and needs to be cleaned frequently.

Highlander 11-18-2013 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aqguy (Post 4693914)
You need to lube the O-Rings and it will slide in easy try a very small amount of Vaseline only enough to lube the ring.
On my 406 I replaced the stock hoses with 5/8 vinyl works so much better.

Lube the o rings but with a non petroleum jelly like earths best. Not Vaseline.

Sajacobs 11-18-2013 02:16 PM

No Vaseline? Oops. Learning something new today. Is the brand you're mentioning sold at the drug store or pet store?

PlantedRich 11-18-2013 02:56 PM

No go with the no Vasoline idea. Lack of experience showing! Vasoline has been used as long as it has been around. Too handy to ignore.

greggg25 11-19-2013 03:23 AM

use 100% silicone lube thats food safe it wont eat the o rings. I believe home depot carries o-ring lube for faucets in the pb department . im using pent-air o ring lube sold for pump o rings.
same lube for big ring on 406 I have the same pump\filter also check the red\black impeller cover while your in there if its warped it will not hold head pressure .. I set mine in a pot of very warm water keeping the rubber from touching the bottom or sides of the pot just enough to make it go back flat .. I think these need yearly replacement when they flex like mine did .

btw plantedrich before the ick incident i had the co2 rolling perfect plants were growing well like huge weeds i had to shut it down until i get the temps down and the meds out just didn't want hit em with extra issues , but thanks for the tips you were dead on ,,, i ended up figuring out the timer and that worked perfect and gently .

Sajacobs 11-20-2013 01:42 PM

Thanks Greg. That makes sense.

greggg25 11-21-2013 12:25 AM

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=9708

i may get slapped for posting links but its what i used , ive done a million model heli builds with sinc grease and silicone grease i just refuse to use petro jelly as it eats rubber including my head damnpers which are also rubber ....use silicone and replace them every so often if you feel cuts or they break down the last thing you want is a flooded floor .

Sajacobs 11-21-2013 02:13 PM

Great link. I'll get it. It's too cheap to say no. I already had a filter malfunction putting a ton of water on the floor. It's not worth playing with fire....or water ;)

Texan78 11-22-2013 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlantedRich (Post 4698858)
Vasoline has been used as long as it has been around. Too handy to ignore.

No pun intended right? :icon_mrgr

I have had this problem too in the past with this filter. One thing that has helped me in addition to what has already been mentioned. Is when I am connecting the hoses back to the canister. Since it is unplugged I open the valve back up. This allows for the air somewhere to go when it is being sucked back on. I know, it sounds strange but it has helped, at least for me.