The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Planted Nano Tanks (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   1.25 Gallon NO TECH Nano Window Tank (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=442009)

DrewWoodside 09-24-2013 04:55 PM

1.25 Gallon NO TECH Nano Window Tank
 
Hi All,

I just started a 1.25 gallon planted tank that I'm hoping to add a little flora/fauna too. I want to keep it as hands off low maintenance as possible(wishful thinking.)

So there is no C02, a sand bottom and the light from the window. This area of the window gets a good amount of indirect sun light all day. I'm more worried about it being too much light than not enough fyi.

Currently there is Riccia, anubias and wisteria planted. Are there any plants anyone can suggest that would grow under these conditions? I'm hoping the wisteria will grow and help win the battle against algae. I've noticed some of the shaded areas of riccia are not growing very well.

Would adding a little excell help? Also there are 3 red shrimp and a nerite in there. Are there any other plants that would grow well with the light from a window and no C02? Thanks for any help everyone, pics for reference are below. I definitely want to make this tank look good, it's at about 70% right now.. Thanks!

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/...side/Nano1.jpg


http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/...side/Nano3.jpg

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/...side/Nano2.jpg

Seedreemer 09-24-2013 06:24 PM

I think you might need more light actually. I'm in Florida and have a pint-sized no-tech bowl in a southern window that gets sun off and on all day and it's doing really well. Sand bottom, pennywort, oscmocote granules in the sand. I have to rub off a clear slime coat on rim each week but otherwise it's as clear as the day I set it up. I do a 100% water change each week just because it's so easy. Pics are in the low tech forum.

Years ago I also had a 29g in a western window that did wonderfully with hot blazing afternoon sun.

DrewWoodside 09-24-2013 07:09 PM

Ha didn't realize the low tech forum.. That's where this should have gone. Saw some interesting stuff over there. I'm thinking of bringing a little more moss into this. Possibly some pennywort.. Thanks for the input!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seedreemer (Post 4350313)
I think you might need more light actually. I'm in Florida and have a pint-sized no-tech bowl in a southern window that gets sun off and on all day and it's doing really well. Sand bottom, pennywort, oscmocote granules in the sand. I have to rub off a clear slime coat on rim each week but otherwise it's as clear as the day I set it up. I do a 100% water change each week just because it's so easy. Pics are in the low tech forum.

Years ago I also had a 29g in a western window that did wonderfully with hot blazing afternoon sun.


FungusTrooper 09-24-2013 07:12 PM

I have a 1g jar. It took a while to get started, but now there's no algae and a lot of plant growth.

In it, I have:
Moneywort
Moneywort (some other variation)
Cabomba Furcata
Dwarf Sagittaria
Willow Moss
Riccia
Christmas Moss

DrewWoodside 09-25-2013 05:31 AM

I'm in NYC and the big window it's next to is a Northern window.. Any idea how that might affect it in terms of light amount? I'm gonna pay attention tomorrow and see how many hours of really good sunlight it gets. I hope I get enough light to support this no-tech Nano!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seedreemer (Post 4350313)
I think you might need more light actually. I'm in Florida and have a pint-sized no-tech bowl in a southern window that gets sun off and on all day and it's doing really well. Sand bottom, pennywort, oscmocote granules in the sand. I have to rub off a clear slime coat on rim each week but otherwise it's as clear as the day I set it up. I do a 100% water change each week just because it's so easy. Pics are in the low tech forum.

Years ago I also had a 29g in a western window that did wonderfully with hot blazing afternoon sun.


DrewWoodside 09-25-2013 05:32 AM

Thanks for the plant list. My Riccia is growing in very spotty so far.. Alternatively I may try to put some moss under the rocks so the edges coming out look a bit like carpet. If the Riccia doesn't work. The moneywort also looks like a possibility. Thanks-

Quote:

Originally Posted by FungusTrooper (Post 4350689)
I have a 1g jar. It took a while to get started, but now there's no algae and a lot of plant growth.

In it, I have:
Moneywort
Moneywort (some other variation)
Cabomba Furcata
Dwarf Sagittaria
Willow Moss
Riccia
Christmas Moss


Seedreemer 09-25-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewWoodside (Post 4354593)
I'm in NYC and the big window it's next to is a Northern window.. Any idea how that might affect it in terms of light amount? I'm gonna pay attention tomorrow and see how many hours of really good sunlight it gets. I hope I get enough light to support this no-tech Nano!

Sorry, I don't really know anything about that type of thing. Mine have always been in either the southern or western sides so they get lots of sun shining in. You always hear that sunlit tanks will get algae but my experience has been just the opposite; algae vanishes and water becomes sparkling clear.

I think your anubias should be just fine in your current window. I don't know about riccia. I can't grow wisteria under any conditions so I can't help with that one either. I'm a wisteria serial killer.

talontsiawd 09-26-2013 03:12 AM

Nice to see some real no tech. I have done a few tanks without anything but lighting but I am interested in how this goes.

frenchie1001 09-26-2013 10:29 AM

I've only just started sunlight tanks, but haven't had a hint of algae yet. We are only just out of winter though so it might change with long days in summer.

GMYukonon24s 09-26-2013 02:01 PM

I'm interested to see how this turns out as well.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.