The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Tank Journals (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Jpappy789's low tech, dirted 20 gallon long- NOW WITH FISH! (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=412146)

jpappy789 08-17-2013 10:00 PM

Jpappy789's low tech, dirted 20 gallon long- NOW WITH FISH!

Super excited to have an aquarium again!

Flora:
-Sagittaria subulata
-Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green'
-Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Red'
-Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Tropica'
-Cryptocoryne spiralis
-Anubias barteri 'Coffeefolia'
-Microsorum pteropus
-Ludwigia repens
-Hydrocotyle leucocephala
-Vallisneria americana
-Hygrophila difformis
-Rotala indica/rotundifolia

Fauna: TBD

Substrate: Miracle Gro Organic Choice (~1-1.5") capped with Eco Complete fine grain (~1.5-2").

Ferts/Carbon: Plan on reduced EI with full Excel dosing

Lighting: Current Satellite LED+ (24-36").

Equipment: 2 Aquaclear 20/minis, Hydor heater

Params: Currently cycling ;)

Apologies for the blurry pic, camera phone isn't the best. Looks a bit better in person...

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/...pse14ef5fe.jpg

Chrisinator 08-17-2013 10:14 PM

Great start!!

discuspaul 08-17-2013 10:47 PM

Great to see you as a member and posting here on TPT, my AC friend.
Your tank looks good - Any fauna decisions made yet ?

lindavon 08-17-2013 10:53 PM

Awesome driftwood. Did you find it or buy it? Looking good!

jpappy789 08-17-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisinator (Post 4087162)
Great start!!

Thanks Chris! Say, now that I've been thinking about it more, I might go the peacock gudgeon route. Do you think they would do fine with the activity of furcatus and dwarf chain loaches (A. sidthimunki)? If so, how many would you suggest?

Quote:

Originally Posted by discuspaul (Post 4087394)
Great to see you as a member and posting here on TPT, my AC friend.
Your tank looks good - Any fauna decisions made yet ?

Good to see you too paul! Learned a lot already talking with the plant experts here.

Still trying to decide what to add, but I've narrowed it down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindavon (Post 4087434)
Awesome driftwood. Did you find it or buy it? Looking good!

Bought it at the LFS here in Gainesville. I love the piece too, except it hasn't sunk on its own yet (hence the rock on top of it right now).

Chrisinator 08-18-2013 01:44 AM

My peacocks we're never shy when I kept them so they should do fine with the loaches and furcatas. I would recommend getting just a couple caves/PVC pipes for them. Lastly, the only challenges I would say would be feeding them but, if I recall, furcatas have smaller mouthes so they should be able to compete. I would go with 4 of them since there's plenty of space, you may even be able to do 6 later on.

jpappy789 08-18-2013 01:50 AM

Good to hear! I'm going to see what fills in with the plants and then set up some more hardscape.

Trying to find a suitable "upper level" solitary fish, something maybe like a honey gourami or another anabantoid, that I would like. Open to suggestions!

Hilde 08-18-2013 03:19 PM

I think you are going to need Co2 addition like Seachem excel or alternative

For scaping ideas check out 29G tank

jpappy789 08-18-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpappy789 (Post 4087074)

Already have that covered.

And the link doesn't work...

Hilde 08-18-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpappy789 (Post 4087074)

Oops! Missed that. Cheaper version is Metricide or Cidex. Not cidex odt. Calculator for solution here.

Photography Rule of Thirds.

rah-bop did it in his 29 Gallon

jpappy789 08-18-2013 06:36 PM

Yep, I know there are cheaper glut options but not very comfortable mixing more concentrated chemicals in my apartment right now. I'm ok eating the extra costs right now, and will probably end up buying the 5 gal when I run out of the 500 ml bottle.

Still can't see the link.

Hilde 08-18-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpappy789 (Post 4092906)
Yep, I know there are cheaper glut options but not very comfortable mixing more concentrated chemicals in my apartment right now.

Still can't see the link.

I have a chemical sensitivity problem, yet still managed to mix it. Used a old fert bottle (16oz) that has part on top of cap to pour chem. I did a 16:1 of water:chem. Thus it didn't take log to fill up. Dosage is 10ml daily.

I am not having any problem with the link. I just left click on the blue word.

jpappy789 08-18-2013 07:06 PM

You must have edited the post then because I can click it now...anyways, I'm well aware of the "rule of thirds" but it's not something I am going to apply to the tank right away. At this point I'm experimenting with a new (to me) lighting system and a fert regime that will take some tweaking. I'm more going to see what all does well and then go from there. I'm not too concerned with creating a perfect aquascape...I just want some healthy plants and a full tank.

As for the glut...may try it in the future, but given the tank size I am perfectly fine going the Excel route right now. Thanks for the mixing link though, will take that into consideration in the future.

jpappy789 08-18-2013 09:59 PM

So for stocking, I'm thinking...

6-8 furcatas
6-8 sids
4 or so peacock gudgeons
3-4 otos

I'd like to add maybe a honey gourami or something similar (T. vittata would be cool if I could ever find one) but I seem to be maxed out. Thoughts?

jpappy789 08-19-2013 04:14 AM

Any further suggestions on stocking?

Moonlight pic.
http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6d5358ad.jpg