The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Lounge & Introductions (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Most and Least Stressful cities in the U.S. (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4096)

jread 01-09-2004 02:49 PM

http://www.bestplaces.net/stress/stress_study3.asp

We came in at #60 which isn't too bad. Pretty laid back here :)

Shakey 01-09-2004 03:37 PM

# 46 here

GulfCoastAquarian 01-09-2004 04:13 PM

#36 on the Mid-Size list - Biloxi-Gulfport-Pascagoula, MS

As opposed to where I used to live...

#70 on the largest metro cities list - Bergen-Passaic, NJ

Suffice it to say that being #36 on the mid-size list is a LOT, LOT, LOT, LOT less stressful than being #70 on the large city list!!

Work In Progress 01-09-2004 04:14 PM

The town I grew up in and lived in for 20 some odd years, is ranked at #18.
No wonder I am so crazy!
:lol:

The town I currently live in, is #44 on the mid size :)

aeternum23 01-09-2004 04:21 PM

Are you kidding me? Orange County is 98th? That's got to be the most BS I've ever heard. I have never been in a more stressful environment in my entire life!

First off, the traffic here is the WORST I have ever been in. It takes me an hour to move 5 miles on the highway during rushhour. Let's not even get into El Toro and Moulton.

Second, eveyone here is so quick to judge everyone else. I sometimes make late-night runs to the local Ralph's and usually just wear my PJ's, aka sweats, sandals, and a t-shirt. But man the way people look at me, you'd think I was from Mars.

It's like everyone has to look a certain way, or else you're some sort of freak. And then there are those who try to show they're not part of the clique by being part of another click, lol.

Third, it's all about the Green down in OC. When I lived in San Diego or the Bay Area, my coworkers and I went out after work on a regular basis. We'd hit a bar, the movies, a restaurant, whatever. Here, no one does that, and I'm still working for the same company! Everyone either stays late or goes straight home. It's like they don't want to know you, they're just here to work and make dough.

Fourth, for some reason, no one likes to say "Hi" to strangers or people they meet. Call it friendliness or common courtesy, but when I first moved down here, I used to say "Hi" or "How're you doing" if I passed someone on the sidewalk. Only once did I ever receive a response. Most of the times, the person just ignored me, some people actually tried to avoid me.

Fifth, cost of living. I don't know HOW the average American can afford to live in this place. I remember talking to a coworker from Tacoma during a company-wide meeting. He's about my age, 25, and just bought an acre plot of land with a 15 year old ranch house on it for $150,000. First off, I don't think there are any residential zones in So Cal that can afford a single plot of land that large. Secondly, if there were, I'm sure they'd be going for well over $1 million each. Ironically enough, I remember him telling me "Yea, I'm not sure how you people make it down here".

Sixth, let's go back to traffic for a moment. Like I said, I've lived all up and down California and have driven in pretty much every part of the state. But Orange County is the only place I have ever seen someone changing their clothes WHILST driving! It's not like I was trying to look, but you can't help but notice when they almost sideswipe your car. Also, I once handled an auto accident that was part of a freak "group" of accidents in one intersection. Apparently, three separate accidents occured, one right after another and all with different vehicles. I'll never forget the police report on that one, "Driver A was on their cell phone...Driver B was on their cell phone..."

I don't know about anyone else, but between being socially ostracized and/or getting into an accident with a naked man, living in OC is pretty stressful to me.

Scorpion 01-09-2004 04:35 PM

this is bs! New Orleans #3? Yeah right buddy! Tacoma more stressful than New Orleans? I doubt it!

Momotaro 01-09-2004 04:41 PM

Yeah, I am going to question this survey too. I have never been there, but I find it difficult to believe that Tacoma, WA is the most stressful place in the US. It is more stressful than NYC? Where is Bubba? Did they factor in the terror threats? Portland, OR, higher than Bergen-Passaic? One of the most densely populated areas in the country. My gosh, I was thinking of moving to the Pacific Northwest to get away from all of the NY/NJ Metro area craziness!
There is something I just don't understand about this survey. I would love to know more about the way they came to their conclusions.

Sorry, I don't put much stock in this one! :roll:

Mike

GulfCoastAquarian 01-09-2004 04:41 PM

New Orleans drivers are the WORST, haha. I thought NJ drivers were aggressive - they need to drive the Causeway at rush hour. Ruthless!

To me, the biggest contributor to stress is traffic. If people say hi to me or not, I don't care. But having to deal with lines and waiting and traffic is what will raise anyone's stress levels. That's why Long Island, NY and Los Angeles, CA need to be on the top of every list.

Scorpion 01-09-2004 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GulfCoastAquarian
New Orleans drivers are the WORST, haha.

You got it right! I used to get so ticked when traffic was jammed and I was going to the Central Bussines District!

Now, I get ticked when big ole John is pulling a trailer full of horses or cattle and he is hugging the passing lane all the way to Denver!

aeternum23 01-09-2004 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GulfCoastAquarian
New Orleans drivers are the WORST, haha. I thought NJ drivers were aggressive - they need to drive the Causeway at rush hour. Ruthless!

To me, the biggest contributor to stress is traffic. If people say hi to me or not, I don't care. But having to deal with lines and waiting and traffic is what will raise anyone's stress levels. That's why Long Island, NY and Los Angeles, CA need to be on the top of every list.

I do agree with that. The stores here are crowded 24/7, it's like nothing I've ever seen before. A couple months ago, I took off a Thursday thinking I could beat the crowds and get some errands taken care of. Boy was I wrong. I walked into the local Target at 10 AM and it was freaking PACKED! I think I waited in line a total of 2 hours that day.

Momotaro 01-09-2004 05:12 PM

To add to my first post, the NY/NJ Metro area was just determined to have the highest occurances of heart disease and heart attacks in the country. Did they take this into consideration?? :roll:

Mike

GulfCoastAquarian 01-09-2004 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeternum23
I do agree with that. The stores here are crowded 24/7, it's like nothing I've ever seen before. A couple months ago, I took off a Thursday thinking I could beat the crowds and get some errands taken care of. Boy was I wrong. I walked into the local Target at 10 AM and it was freaking PACKED! I think I waited in line a total of 2 hours that day.

That's what kills me. My time is far too valuable to stand in line waiting for a bunch of tards who stand there for 20 minutes and only realize that they're paying with a check when the cashier is done ringing up all their items and have to stand there and fumble for their checkbook, pen, driver's license and we get to wait yet another couple minutes while the check is verified. Ugh.
Mail Order rules. I did an Ebay Christmas this last year and it was the least stressful holiday season I've ever had.

Scorpion 01-09-2004 05:15 PM

One of my bro in-laws lives in cali right now. Everything he has said about it could not be said in here. It would violate the forum rules... I don't know if I want to visit as a tourist. Besides that, all the people that I've met from there act like they forgot to take their metamucil and think they are all that. Not until they met me hahaha!

GulfCoastAquarian 01-09-2004 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momotaro
To add to my first post, the NY/NJ Metro area was just determined to have the highest occurances of heart disease and heart attacks in the country. Did they take this into consideration?? :roll:

Mike

Obviously not! In NY/NJ - not only is it the traffic, but the stress of being required to succeed at your job just to scrape by on a $150k/year salary in a one bedroom apartment.

emoore3 01-09-2004 06:38 PM

I moved from Chicago to LA and now I live in San Jose. What a difference California is. I really cant stand the people here. No one is frendly and they all have the it's all about me attitude. And the driving is horrible. I am used to traffic but people do the dumbest things on the roads here. It's common practice for people to cut over 4 lanes so they don't miss their exit. And when I honk at them they look at me like they didn't do anything wrong. Oh well. Now I just need to find a job outside California.