The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Tank Journals (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   ThatGuy's College Dorm Mini M-high tech, planted only, Iwagumi (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=395762)

ThatGuyWithTheFish 07-30-2013 01:30 AM

ThatGuy's College Dorm Mini M-high tech, planted only, Iwagumi

2 Attachment(s)
Title: "Boulders-Upon-Meadow" (inspired by English village names)

Tank: ADA Mini M (36cm x 20 cm x 22 cm)
Lighting: Archaea Power Compact 27 watt (4 inches above tank)
Filtration: Eheim 2211, ADA Mini Outflow P-1 Lily Pipe, do! Aqua Violet Mini Inflow MV1
CO2: 20oz paintball tank, Archaea Regulator Pro Single Gauge, ADA plastic check valve, cheap glass bubble counter, do! Aqua Music Glass 15D
Substrate: AquaSoil New Amazonia, AquaSoil New Amazonia Powder Type
Hardscape: Sieryu stone (3 pieces)
Flora: Hemianthus callitrichoides
Fauna: none for now, possibly Otocinclus sp., Caridiana multidentata, Caridiana cf. cantonensis var. "crystal red", Danio margaritatus

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Post:

Well, today I got the first part of my order from AFA; but unfortunately it's only the boring stuff. My Mini M, my first ADA tank, is still to come, along with the AS. Because my university allows no pets, I can't keep any fish in it, maybe shrimp if I ask my RA. But not having animals also helps in high tech, as I wouldn't have to worry about gassing fish. Not to mention I have to move the tank back home (20 minutes only) for Christmas break and summer. I am excited to pursue a more aesthetic, Nature-style tank. I'm think HC, with mini pellia in the back maybe. Or I might take some UG from my 20L and start HC there. I have some small pieces of Sieryu, but I also might want to try a different stone, if I can find it. Here's the equipment I have so far:

Already arrived (not pictured):
Zoomed 501 mini canister
20oz PB tank
drop checker (cheapo ebay kind)

Arrived today (pictured):
Archaea Slim-Pro
Archaea pro PB regulator
Do aqua Music Glass, mini 10D
ADA check valve

On it's way (though I don't have any tracking):
Mini M
3L AquaSoil Powder Type

Need to get still:
Aquatic Magic 9mm lily pipes
silicon tubing
bubble counter (?)
stone
plants (ofc)

I read in one post that the Pro led lights don't provide enough... I hope that's not the case, otherwise I'd have to return it for a PC.

tetra10 07-30-2013 02:30 AM

I have the same light! I don't see many people using them so I would love it if you could post your thoughts on it!

Couesfanatic 07-30-2013 02:58 AM

subscribed, looking forward to this.

ThatGuyWithTheFish 07-30-2013 02:57 PM

So apparently there's a strike at the docks and I won't be getting my tank and AS for awhile. Oh well, doesn't really matter to me since I won't be needing it for a month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tetra10 (Post 3940386)
I have the same light! I don't see many people using them so I would love it if you could post your thoughts on it!

Lol, you tell me! I won't be using it til September.

ThatGuyWithTheFish 08-12-2013 07:30 PM

Well, this guy at AFA was gracious enough to let me return the light and diffuser for store credit. IDK what I'm going to get for a light. I'm in talks about a V3 pollen diffuser, or I'd just get a regular 15D music glass. We'll see.

I also ordered the lily pipes.

talontsiawd 08-12-2013 09:40 PM

Good start here. I have had many tanks with no fish long term and like them just as much. On my new tanks, I really only add fish because everyone always will ask where the fish are, especially my friend's daughters. Can't wait to see where you go with this.

ThatGuyWithTheFish 08-25-2013 09:45 PM

Played around with my stones and came up with two designs of the same theme:

Aqua(rock)scape 1: Smaller stones means more room, but perhaps a bit too much on top? I could always raise them by stacking some rocks underneath.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH...le=photo1c.jpg

Aquascape 2: The larger stone gives a much more profound, sharper image. But it also is very large, caved in in the back, and hard to position stably.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH...le=photo2c.jpg

I'm adding a poll now, but if you have further suggestions please leave a comment.

Thanks!

jpappy789 08-25-2013 09:54 PM

Personally prefer the first. But maybe rotate the larger rock on the right so it isn't "pointing" in the exact same direction as the smaller one leaning against it?

ThatGuyWithTheFish 08-25-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpappy789 (Post 4147178)
Personally prefer the first. But maybe rotate the larger rock on the right so it isn't "pointing" in the exact same direction as the smaller one leaning against it?

Yes, the final design can easily be finessed. I'm mostly trying to decide if I need more rocks. Thanks for the opinion.

Couesfanatic 08-26-2013 04:22 AM

I think you have enough rocks, but it looks like they don't match very well. It could be the lighting. I like the big stone on the right side of the second scape.

ThatGuyWithTheFish 08-27-2013 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couesfanatic (Post 4150034)
I think you have enough rocks, but it looks like they don't match very well. It could be the lighting. I like the big stone on the right side of the second scape.

Maybe it's the algae on some of them, that gives it a green tint? I haven't finished removing all that.

I3raven 08-27-2013 04:00 AM

The texture on the first scape with the biggest rock seems to bother me, it's different from the other stones so it makes the scape seem kinda unnatural. I think you need more rocks of different sizes with the same texture/look. Good start though!

ThatGuyWithTheFish 09-11-2013 09:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Lack of updates due of course to moving into college. Having a great time, but I'm also looking forward to this tank! Don't know if I'll put anything in it, my RA is a little strict and pets aren't allowed. I made an order to ADG to get some items on sale. Not any AS or tanks, since I don't have the capital to spend of future tanks, but some other nice ADA equipment that I wouldn't have bought otherwise. I got Superge, Clean Bottle, a thermometer, Spring Washer small, and a glass top for the Mini M. From AFA I got my light, 27W PC, the garden mat and the 15D music glass. My tank arrived at home yesterday and I'll have it tomorrow. Yay! I think I lost one of my stones so I might have to buy another...

Current USA 09-11-2013 09:31 PM

This is awesome! I personally lived in a EXTREMELY small triple and setup a tank that took up half my desk when I was in the dorms. I was never able to study again

keats 09-11-2013 10:40 PM

Should be a great build. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2