The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Filter Overkill (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=390233)

King of Hyrule 07-23-2013 06:59 AM

Filter Overkill

I'm replacing the AC50 that currently handling the duty of cleaning the water in my 29G with a Fluval 206.

I have a 10G tank at work, lots of plants, a few fish most notable among them a quarter sized angel. I keep the water clear with a AC20, but I'll have an extra AC50 very shortly.

I'm thinking of switch the AC20 for the AC50. My thought is that it would keep the water as clean, but need less replacement media. I worry that the flow would be too much for the angel.

Is the AC50 over kill for my work 10G?

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH...115610_PMc.jpg

scotty b 07-23-2013 07:12 AM

it will be fine just defuse the output with screen or look into this
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=303778

gus6464 07-23-2013 07:20 AM

If you haven't already bought the 206 I would recommend you go one higher on the 29g with a 306. I originally had a 206 in my 29g and flow was meh so I added a 305.

mayanjungledog 07-23-2013 07:48 AM

I'm using a 306 and an AC30 on a 20 gallon.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

gSTiTcH 07-23-2013 12:50 PM

Replacement Media? I haven't replaced the media in my AC for well over a year. Why are you needing such frequent replacement?

Also... an Angel in a 10g? :-/

chocological 07-23-2013 01:38 PM

I have 2 AC50s running on my 20 gallon.
You should be fine!

Coldwater King 07-23-2013 02:04 PM

You can do it. But for the media you should use reusable stuff (this goes to a point if it is stained brown with fish crap and you can't clean it toss it)

King of Hyrule 07-23-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gSTiTcH (Post 3890969)
Replacement Media? I haven't replaced the media in my AC for well over a year. Why are you needing such frequent replacement?

Also... an Angel in a 10g? :-/

Let's just say I learned a lot setup my early dirt'd tanks. The filter has been compensating for my short comings setting up real dirt. I like my water clear...The sponge gets cleaned weekly, and replace when it looks icky. I replace the carbon monthly, or after any water treatment (copper). I've yet to change the bio media. I guess I'll do that maybe once or twice a year.

I like the defuser idea. I need to think about this more.

scotty b 07-24-2013 08:27 AM

you shouldn't ever need to replace bio media

dprais1 07-24-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King of Hyrule (Post 3893945)
Let's just say I learned a lot setup my early dirt'd tanks. The filter has been compensating for my short comings setting up real dirt. I like my water clear...The sponge gets cleaned weekly, and replace when it looks icky. I replace the carbon monthly, or after any water treatment (copper). I've yet to change the bio media. I guess I'll do that maybe once or twice a year.

I like the defuser idea. I need to think about this more.

those ac sponge filters are junk, after a while they get brittle and need to be replaced.

get some poret foam or similiar and it will last forever. This is what I use and it works the same or better and lasts forever.

if you clean it gently in tank water then it will also house tons of good bacteria

talontsiawd 07-24-2013 06:56 PM

You should be fine. The AC 50 is nice because it fits a bag of Seachem Purigen in it perfectly.

Another thing you can do is swap the impeller out of your AC 20 and put it on your 50. Actually, the whole motor assembly can just be swapped. Then you get the flow of an AC20 with the capacity of an AC50. I like that better.

Word of warning, don't do the reverse and put the AC50 impeller in the AC20. I did that and when the media started to clog, it overflowed. Putting the smaller impeller on the larger filter gave me no issues for many years, putting the bigger impeller on the smaller filter gave me issues within days.

gSTiTcH 07-24-2013 08:25 PM

You really shouldn't replace the filter media until it's falling apart and can't be cleaned.

pantherspawn 07-24-2013 08:38 PM

Maybe it's just me.. But I replace my media every few months. I always keep two sets in and rotate out one at a time with a fresh one after about the third cleaning. I also keep ceramic in my tanks to house bacteria which never gets replaced.

dprais1 07-24-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talontsiawd (Post 3901337)
You should be fine. The AC 50 is nice because it fits a bag of Seachem Purigen in it perfectly.

Another thing you can do is swap the impeller out of your AC 20 and put it on your 50. Actually, the whole motor assembly can just be swapped. Then you get the flow of an AC20 with the capacity of an AC50. I like that better.

Word of warning, don't do the reverse and put the AC50 impeller in the AC20. I did that and when the media started to clog, it overflowed. Putting the smaller impeller on the larger filter gave me no issues for many years, putting the bigger impeller on the smaller filter gave me issues within days.

I have never heard of that but that is a genius idea

dprais1 07-24-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantherspawn (Post 3902241)
. I also keep ceramic in my tanks to house bacteria which never gets replaced.

just ceramic media sitting on the substrate?

I can't imagine all those micro nooks and crannies are any better than rocks without the flow provided by a filter to stream water through the media.

Most expensive substrate ever?