The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Plants (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Help: Melting Limnophila aquatica (ambulia) (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=388409)

tithra 07-21-2013 04:51 AM

Help: Melting Limnophila aquatica (ambulia)

I have a newly setup (about a week old) 13.3 gallon tank.
*Lighting - 48watts t5ho
*Following EI dosing schedule
*co2 - 88g fluval kit (until I save up for something better)
*estimated co2 levels are 25 ppm (using ph/kh chart), drop checker is a happy green
*substrate - ADA aquasoil, about 2 inches deep
*no inhabitants currently (there is a betta that will call this tank home but she is in a different tank currently)
*zoo med 501 nano canister (cycled)
*pH 6.7, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5ppm

All plants are brand new, only about a week old. Everything seems to be adjusting ok so far except my limno. The bottom of the stems are completely melting away and bottom leaves are turning to grey mush.

I have had the same thing happen with this plant in a different tank and was unable to salvage it.

Tops still look nice and green, top half of stems still look good.

How do I save this plant before it completely melts away?? I read others say it grows easily and like a weed.... not sure what I am doing wrong. Any assistance is greatly appreciated :)

Sgtreef 07-21-2013 11:02 AM

Do you have space between the stems where light can get to the bottom of the stem?
High water flow?

Try Milfol maybe?

I have some and it is growing, most under some DIY LED's and really not a high flow of current on that side of the tank.

Wish you good luck as it is a real graceful plant.

Maybe give it awhile to adjust my PH 7.6 BTW.

Jeff

tithra 07-21-2013 02:29 PM

Thank you for your reply Jeff. I did plant stems individually so they are spaced a bit apart, maybe not enough though? I will try spacing them farther.

This is a betta tank so flow is pretty low, but evenly spaced across the tank using a spray bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgtreef 07-22-2013 12:41 AM

Give it time then.

Maybe try some plant tabs.

Jeff

tithra 07-22-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgtreef (Post 3879969)
Give it time then.

Maybe try some plant tabs.

Jeff

thanks :) I will given them some time and hope they adjust!

I threw some seachem root tabs under the AS when I setup the tank

tithra 07-29-2013 06:31 PM

Just wanted to update, the limno fully bounced back. I lost several stems, but the remaining ones look great and are growing fast. Must have just needed some time to adjust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jester946 07-29-2013 07:09 PM

Some plants will melt at first when moving from one aquarium to another. My Aromatica is BRIGHT purple and yellowish green, and it's VERY tightly grouped. I can tell you, that the plant loves a lot of potassium, and when I started to ramp my K up, it only got brighter, and grew faster/