The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   ADA 90-P faulty. Or...? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=381489)

Matsnork 07-12-2013 05:20 PM

ADA 90-P faulty. Or...?

I´ve got a bit of a delicate conundrum and would like some input from other ADA aquarium owners.

Would you say that it is within acceptable limits that the side panels on a brand new ADA 90-P are slightly skewed by about 3mm? The sides are not exactly parallell wich results in the corners not being exactly 90-degrees. Because of this the aquarium does not line up perfectly with my cabinet.

Am I just picky or should I expect perfection for the premium price payed for this item?

Picture illustrating the issue. The problem is mirrored on the other side:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ps9c46b7c8.jpg

mot 07-12-2013 05:23 PM

Mine is aligned perfectly. I would expect nothing less from an ADA tank.

ETK 07-12-2013 05:28 PM

Seems like that is past acceptable limits. However, in order to judge whether its the cabinet or the tank, you may want to measure the diagonal dimensions of the tank. That will tell you whether it is skewed or not.

Ach1Ll3sH33L 07-12-2013 05:48 PM

my guess is its the cabinet that's not straight, but a tape measure will answer your question.

Jeff5614 07-12-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ach1Ll3sH33L (Post 3808697)
my guess is its the cabinet that's not straight, but a tape measure will answer your question.

I was going to ask if you know for sure that your stand is square also. If the tank is off I'd be contacting ADG or AFA, assuming you purchased it from one of them.

concepts88 07-12-2013 06:44 PM

If you turn the tank counter clockwise. This will balance the left side also. I would say it is your stand which is crooked or bowed in the front.

Matsnork 07-13-2013 02:25 AM

Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention that I of course measured the tank, both diagonally and with a 90-degree ruler (dont know the english word for it).

The tank was really hard to get hold of since there are very few retailers in the Nordic countries and starting up a warranty process with a 40kg item is kind of a bummer... but I will give it a try.

concepts88 07-13-2013 02:27 AM

It's call a t-square

Matsnork 07-13-2013 08:42 PM

Yes but no. Apparently I used an L square. Thank you google :)

In another thread on this forum regarding what techniques the ADA factory use to produce their famous silicone joints, I suggested that a jig might be used. Well now we can rule that out. And apparently an L square was not used either... A little bit bitter perhaps.

brohawk 07-13-2013 09:42 PM

I don't blame your bitterness one bit. Best of luck getting a replacement, hopefully w/ little hassle.

houseofcards 07-13-2013 11:07 PM

Not the best example of 'Precision crafted' I'm sure they'll do the right thing - good luck.

OVT 07-13-2013 11:41 PM

I personally would not be happy at all.

I am not sure how it works in Europe, but if you do not get an acceptable resolution from the seller I would contact the credit card issuer, if you paid by a CC.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Matsnork 07-14-2013 04:26 AM

I bought the tank through a small dealer who mostly deals with the smaller ada stuff, like glassware, soil etc. They´ve got connections with the German ada stockist and had an arrend down there, so I saw my chance to get hold of an ada aquarium without paying silly freight costs.

Potential scenarios:

#1 They ignore me, or think my claim is silly.

#2 I can get some sort of compensation/retro price reduction but keep the tank.
(I could live with this, the tank is not ruined. A few steps back and it´s not very noticeable)

#3 They replace the item and pay for shipping.
(Not very likely but you never know the service level of folks when they have a few hundred miles and a few boarders to hide behind.)

FlyingHellFish 07-14-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by concepts88 (Post 3812281)
It's call a t-square

George Costanza !!!!!

How new is the tank? I notice some really bad craftsmanship with my 60-P. The seams are not completely straight or there is excess. No idea what the proper term is called but it's the glue that you can touch on the outside. I run my fingers down and feel it. My Fluval Edge 1st generation did not have this, the 2nd gen 12gallons has this.

The older ADA sticker tanks are perfect, everything is completely flush. My newer sticker ADA tank is not something you would expect for the amount of money.

:(

Matsnork 07-14-2013 06:27 AM

Are you refering to silicone perhaps?

The tank is brand spanking new. Just found out about this when placing it on a stand for the first time.

My 60-P looks good and fits perfectly on my DIY cabinet.