The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   All my shrimp died (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368913)

thelub 06-27-2013 07:38 PM

All my shrimp died

Well, most of them anyway. They've been slowly dieing off lately and all I can do is watch helplessly. I started off with about 50 PFR culls from a generous TPT member. Now there are 3-5 that I can see. Apparently they've been dwindling in numbers but I haven't seen any bodies. Its only been recently that I've seen dead ones.

Setup is:
10g
Substrate: small layer (1/2") of PFS
Filtration: sponge filter

Flora:
Amazon frogbit and a small amount of duckweed
Flame moss
Subwasstertang

cholla wood

Light is a single fluorescent bulb. Unknown K rating and wattage but the frogbit has huge leaves and I noticed a flower starting to grow.

I've had a population of ramshorn snails, but they have all died as well. I've been doing top offs and water changes with mixes of RO and tap water but not remineralizing the RO.

Parameters last night via API master kit after a water change:
PH 6.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: slight reading, but very little
Temp: 75F with no heater. (might be the problem?)

I have a GH and KH test kit on the way. A TDS pen will be on order within the next week or so as soon as more hobby funds become available. I know all the shrimp pros will say those readings are needed before being able to diagnose the problem.

Jahn 06-27-2013 07:44 PM

do the dead shrimp have cracked shells? if so they might have been trying to molt and failed.

mordalphus 06-27-2013 07:45 PM

Probably your GH.

Here in washington we have some of the purest water in the world. My tap has a GH of 0.

Also, the description of them dying one by one slowly indicates a molting problem to me. In a water that is GH 0, they cannot form a new shell after molting. Often they can form enough for 2 molts, but after that, they slowly molt to death.

kimboden 06-27-2013 08:07 PM

I agree with molting. There may not be enough Minerals in the tank hence the die off of your snails too.

thelub 06-27-2013 08:57 PM

I was wondering that myself. I couldn't see any shell problems on the dead ones, but that doesn't mean its not there. I thought about putting in a piece of cuttle bone for them to munch on for minerals. Think that might help?

aparker 06-27-2013 09:06 PM

I use cuttlebone to tweak my water a bit but it won't get you to the gh you are looking for.

DBL TAP 06-27-2013 09:35 PM

If you also lost snails, I would look into the possibility of copper getting in the water.

zankotsu 06-27-2013 09:42 PM

I blamed my shrimp die off on too soft of water.

mordalphus 06-27-2013 09:57 PM

Cuttlefish bone won't help, you need a remineralizer. Cheap ones for neos like seachem equilibrium will work fine.

thelub 06-27-2013 10:01 PM

Well the ramshorn snails died off, but my Spixi snails are still going strong.

Well I was looking to rescape this tank and didn't know what I was going to do with my shrimp. Maybe this is my chance to do that and get the proper tools and equipment to more carefully keep shrimp.

thelub 06-27-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mordalphus (Post 3695161)
Cuttlefish bone won't help, you need a remineralizer. Cheap ones for neos like seachem equilibrium will work fine.

Could the shrimp ingest it to get their minerals they need until I can get some re-mineral solution?

mordalphus 06-27-2013 10:10 PM

No, but you can add it anyway. It may make a localized area directly around it where the GHis higher.

GreenBliss 06-27-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelub (Post 3695209)
Well the ramshorn snails died off, but my Spixi snails are still going strong.

Most of my ramshorns/pond snails died from low PH/GH in my Yellow Neo tank, but the Mystery Snails didn't seem to have any problems. Once I got the PH and GH up, the pond snails are all over.

CookieM 06-27-2013 11:05 PM

Cheapest mineral for shrimps:

I used this for over a years and everything is going well.

Soothing Shrimp 06-28-2013 12:10 AM

I use cuttle bone in my tanks. My shrimp graze from it, as well as eating pieces of the cuttle bone itself. Maybe it does something, maybe it doesn't- but for me it's added security.