The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Tank Journals (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   FG 29 tank update Warning (67K) (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3583)

Fat Guy 12-16-2003 02:10 PM

29g

It's turning into a jungle. Got to start trimming the hygrophilia.

Also, the aponogeton's gonna go soon.

George Willms 12-16-2003 02:13 PM

Oh man! You're plants are definitely growing, but they are far from a jungle yet! :D You should have seen what I pulled out of my 29 gallon tank to trim last night. Just about everything was reaching the top. The aponogeton will definitely get too huge for that tank, I had 2 in my 29 a while back also.

Fat Guy 12-16-2003 02:13 PM

Riccia before and after hairnet.

Thanks for the advice!!

George Willms 12-16-2003 02:18 PM

The riccia looks much better now. It will look great once it grows in some and covers up the hairnet. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you're gonna do with this tank. I'm always interested in what others with 29 gallon tanks do. They're not exactly roomy....:)

Fat Guy 12-16-2003 02:27 PM

Thanks George!!

I'm still in the process of figuring out what do do with her.

You're right, 29g aren't that roomy. :D

Especially with some of the big plants I've got in there (apongeton and water sprite)

Luckily, the algae problems I do have in the tank attack the aponogeton first and seem to stunt it's growth.

Those pictures were from two days ago. My hygrophilia on the left is starting to branch off and bend at the top forming more leaves. Man, does that stuff grow quickly.

I'm gonna have to cut it down. Where do you recommend making the cut?

Halfway? Then pick off bottom leaves on the cut to replant?

Also, the riccia's filled in a lot and is pearling later on in the day.

I added a 20W aqua glow strip to the 55W power compact that I already have.

Hey? What's the plant in the back that I have. Is that some sort of milfoil? I wasn't exactly sure when I got it, nor was the LFS that I got it from.

Thanks for the feedback George. I'll update ya with the progress.

I want the pennywort and the riccia to eventually wrap around the front part of the tank.

George Willms 12-16-2003 02:41 PM

Do you mean that plant right in the middle of the tank? I'm not too sure from the picture and was trying to figure that out too. :) It almost reminds me of Rotala najean, but I can't tell without a closer picture of it. There are others here that are better at plant ID's than me though, so maybe they can chime in. You can cut the hygro whereever you want. If you leave the bottom part of the cutting in, it will branch out from where you cut it. IME pennywort doesn't stay low, so I don't think you'll have much luck with it wrapping around the front. At least not if it's Hydrocotyle leucocephala. There are a few species that stay low though. Verticellata is one of them I think and there is at least one more, but I can't remember the name.

Fat Guy 12-16-2003 02:51 PM

Here's a closer picture of it

George Willms 12-16-2003 02:53 PM

I'm not seeing anything FG.

Fat Guy 12-16-2003 03:00 PM

Sorry about that,

I'm trying to crop the size of the photo. (BTW the pennywort will stay low, only if I coax it, by running it between rocks). I love that plant. It has trippled in size since I got it.)

SCMurphy 12-16-2003 03:05 PM

It's Mayaca fluviatilis

George Willms 12-16-2003 03:08 PM

My best guess is that it is emmerse growth Rotala najean. How long have you had it in there? The leaves become much thinner and more needle-like when the submerse growth starts. A nice plant for small tanks, it sometimes reminds me of an ultra-small E. stellata!

Fat Guy 12-16-2003 03:16 PM

Thanks both. :D

It's my newest plant (that and the riccia) Been there for a week.

SCMurphy Bog Moss?

I did a search for that, and I think you may be right. I'm not sure if it is the rotala.

SCMurphy 12-16-2003 03:19 PM

I have it in a tank at home. It grows like crazy when it is happy.

Nordic 12-16-2003 03:23 PM

How would i identify riccia?

I have some plant in my tank looks a bit like fine lawn, but it hardly has any roots... it seems to all grow on one long stem thingy

|_|_|_|_|_|

Fat Guy 12-16-2003 03:25 PM

If I'm not mistaken Riccia doesn't take root. Any pictures.