The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Substrate (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Help! What substrate do I need? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=337202)

Ellianna 05-20-2013 02:06 PM

Help! What substrate do I need?

I'm trying to set up my first aquascape tank.

My tank dimensions are, 24"x17"x12" and I think that roughly leads to around 83 litres.

I'm not sure what substrate I should use, I've looked at CaribSea Eco-Complete and that seems to have mixed reviews, I've also looked at Flourite and people say that is good.

I need help, what is best for a beginner? Do I need gravel on top? How much do I need?

Any help would be appreciated!

herns 05-21-2013 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellianna (Post 3402378)
I'm trying to set up my first aquascape tank.

My tank dimensions are, 24"x17"x12" and I think that roughly leads to around 83 litres.

I'm not sure what substrate I should use, I've looked at CaribSea Eco-Complete and that seems to have mixed reviews, I've also looked at Flourite and people say that is good.

I need help, what is best for a beginner? Do I need gravel on top? How much do I need?

Any help would be appreciated!

I have used substrate on your list and have tried ADA Aquasoil and so far the best IME. It's expensive but worth it.

I grew plants with Aquasoil that I have not grown with three other. substrate I have.

OVT 05-21-2013 05:38 AM

Re: Help! What substrate do I need?

Volume for volume, AS price is comparable to other substrates.

Ellianna 05-21-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herns (Post 3408306)
I have used substrate on your list and have tried ADA Aquasoil and so far the best IME. It's expensive but worth it.

I grew plants with Aquasoil that I have not grown with three other. substrate I have.

How much do you think will be needed for my tank?
Will I need to cover the top with gravel?
Thank you!

somewhatshocked 05-21-2013 11:43 AM

There are all kinds of calculators online to help you determine how much Aquasoil you'll need. But I think two 9L bags of ADA Amazonia would be plenty for your tank. You may even have a little bit left over.

There is no need to cover/cap Aquasoil with anything.

Ellianna 05-21-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhatshocked (Post 3409474)
There are all kinds of calculators online to help you determine how much Aquasoil you'll need. But I think two 9L bags of ADA Amazonia would be plenty for your tank. You may even have a little bit left over.

ahh, thank you so much!

somewhatshocked 05-21-2013 12:26 PM

If you're new to the hobby, you'll want to do a couple forum searches here to learn how to cycle your aquarium when using ADA Aquasoil Amazonia. You're going to have high levels of ammonia and will likely need to do at least a few water changes over the course of 4-6 weeks before you put any fish in your tank.

While it sounds complicated, it's not. Just means you won't have to add an ammonia source to cycle. Once the initial cycling process is completed, your tank will be well-established and healthy for livestock. Since Amazonia is a nutrient-rich substrate, you won't have to use root tabs for at least a few years.

AntiSoberSam 06-23-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhatshocked (Post 3409474)

But you can cap it? Lets say with black sand.

somewhatshocked 06-23-2013 01:17 PM

No, you can't cap it without the sand settling to the bottom.

There's really no reason to cap Aquasoil. It's meant to be used as a stand-alone substrate (optional additives notwithstanding).

If you want to cap something with sand, just use potting soil.

AntiSoberSam 06-23-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhatshocked (Post 3658609)
No, you can't cap it without the sand settling to the bottom.

There's really no reason to cap Aquasoil. It's meant to be used as a stand-alone substrate (optional additives notwithstanding).

If you want to cap something with sand, just use potting soil.

I only wanted to cap it for aesthetic reasons. I guess potting soil will work just fine then

AntiSoberSam 06-23-2013 05:00 PM

Would Organic potting soil be any more beneficial to the plants than regular potting soil?

Shawn123 06-23-2013 11:00 PM

I think you actually have to get the organic because the other stuff has added fertilizer that isn't fish safe.

AntiSoberSam 06-25-2013 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn123 (Post 3662137)
I think you actually have to get the organic because the other stuff has added fertilizer that isn't fish safe.

Thanks! I wondered about that. I prefer Organic anyway.

Shawn123 06-25-2013 03:57 AM

Make sure you do some research here on the forum, there is a process you have to do to the soil to get it ready to go in the tank.

AntiSoberSam 06-25-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn123 (Post 3672225)
Make sure you do some research here on the forum, there is a process you have to do to the soil to get it ready to go in the tank.

Thanks for the heads up! I've been reading and reading lol. So much info and opinions. More reading = less noob mistakes! Gonna be a few weeks before I get this 55g up and running. Gotta get my 25g under control first.