The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Aqualight? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3329)

TNO 12-02-2003 09:54 PM

Hi all, this is my first post here. I am setting up my first aquarium, a 90 gal. planted tank. My wife and I don't particularly care for the bulky look of a canopy and were considering going with aqualight for a streamlined look. Would love some feedback on the pros and cons. One concern we have is the tank is located in our family room and since there is a gap between the tank and light it seems that there might be glare from the light. Is it necessary to use the plastic clips or is there another, lower way to mount it?

GulfCoastAquarian 12-03-2003 01:19 PM

Could you post some links to pictures of the Aqualight? I'm not familiar with it.

fishyboy 12-03-2003 08:12 PM

http://www.hellolights.com/comfluorsys.html

Rex Grigg 12-03-2003 11:04 PM

There is a thread here or on one other forum that I frequent that gives Hellolights a very bad rap. If you want a pre-built fixture check out the lights at www.aquabotanic.com They come with plant bulbs and are very nice lights. Very low profile.

E. Simpson 12-04-2003 12:11 AM

I ordered something from hellolights just last week and it went well.Maybe I lucked out but figured I'd give my experience.Also You can get those aqualights with a plant bulb included on ebay.I got a 65w version for cheap.I think it was $48 if my memory is working today.It works perfectly for my needs on my 20g tank.

Pancake

Scorpion 12-04-2003 07:05 PM

Ummm I don't know about this one. As Rex said, that thread sure stirred something...

malkore 12-04-2003 07:30 PM

I ABSOLUTELY love the guys at hellolights. They are a few bucks more expensive than AHSupply, but their service and shipping speed kick butt.
my first order came fast, but one bulb was shattered, despite the extreme amount of protective packaging they used (stupid FedEx handling). I called them, and they shipped a replacement bulb the same day and made FedEx picked the damaged bulb.
I ordered a coralife hood from them also, and it came quickly and undamaged.

George Willms 12-05-2003 03:55 PM

I have the coralife fixtures on legs over 2 tanks and there is some spillage, but I don't think it's all that bad.

TNO 12-06-2003 01:52 AM

Thanks for all the responses!

aquatic-store.com 12-09-2003 06:27 PM

aquamedic/ aqualine bushke also makes a streamlined light expensive though

bingojimbo 12-09-2003 09:51 PM

I have a 26 gallon long acrylic tank (36L x 10W x 16D). I'm considering purchasing the Coralife aqualights but not sure which one. I noticed that they sell the 36'' 1x96watt single strip lights. That would put it edge to edge with my aquarium. If I were to purchase the mounting legs, would that fit on top of my aquarium? Otherwise, I'd have to purchase the 24" 2x65W.

One other thing. Would that be too much light? total of 130W over a 26 gallon long tank.

THanks.
Rafael

George Willms 12-09-2003 10:08 PM

Are you going to be using co2 Rafael?

Scorpion 12-09-2003 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bingojimbo
I have a 26 gallon long acrylic tank (36L x 10W x 16D). I'm considering purchasing the Coralife aqualights but not sure which one. I noticed that they sell the 36'' 1x96watt single strip lights. That would put it edge to edge with my aquarium. If I were to purchase the mounting legs, would that fit on top of my aquarium? Otherwise, I'd have to purchase the 24" 2x65W.

One other thing. Would that be too much light? total of 130W over a 26 gallon long tank.

THanks.
Rafael

That is 5 wpg! Hope you like algae. I would look for something with a lot less watts.

Nordic 12-10-2003 04:56 AM

From what I understand you should be aiming for 100Watt on that tank.

bingojimbo 12-10-2003 07:00 AM

Thanks for the replies! Yeah Im going to use DIY CO2 for it. I know..5W/gallon sounds like a high maintenance tank.. Now I'm considering the 36" 96W fixture. I hope that it fits (w/ the mounting legs) with my tank (36L x 10W x 16D). My concern now is that, would I be able to grow foreground plants like glosso and hairgrass or any other bright light plants?

Also, Does anyone know how strong the wattage is per gallon for it to be considered very bright? is 3.5W/gallon considered bright?

Thanks again,
Rafael