The Planted Tank Forum banner

EAndrews' 20g Planted Tank Project

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  EAndrews 
#1 · (Edited)
So after a ton of reading and going thru a lot of changes in our decisions launching this tank; I wanted to do a little more formal journal to it so far after 3 weeks..

Tank Specs

- 20g long converted to a rimless look
- 20lbs of Caribsea Eco-complete substrate
- DIY CO2 using a small 1g elite power head for diffusing and circulation
- Finnex Ray2 LED fixture on a 6 hour run time
- fluval 50 HOB filter

Current Plants (many thanks to Chad Ramsey for some great plants and ideas)

- Java ferns
- White stripes
- Dwarf ong hair grass
- Blyxa japonica
- fiss moss attaching to good rock for 2-3 weeks
- Crypt Becketti
- Water sprite
- Wisteria

Hospital / Qtank

5g Fluval Spec Bar Tank : )

Here's a few shots after 2 weeks cycling after a good water change..

See less See more
#4 ·
Some updated photos after the first month... the plants have a lot of new growth and are really thriving with the ferts and Co2..

I got the DIY Co2 dialed in finally the way I want it .. we added our rock after 3 weeks with the moss on it and I picked up some neon tetras and albino cory cats.. its starting to come along..

here's the Co2 setup... I ended up going back to a glass difusser and have it rising up into a koralia .. the tank now gets plenty of flow now..

#8 ·
Updated Tank Pics..

We are getting great growth from most of the plants.. i need to cut up and spread out the dwarf grass but other than that I am happy so far.. the wisteria and water sprite growth is like a weed! The moss is doing well on the rocks and I'm hoping to do some trimming back in the next week or two..

Attachments

#9 ·
It's been 2 more months now since the last update.. for those that do not believe you can have a HOB filter and let your plants eat up the rest - here you go... we have amazing growth on the high tech 20g rimless...

we now have 15 neons, 5-6 baby englers, 4 cherry shrimp, 2 cory albino cats, 2 gold platys, & 1 rainbow shark

I do a 60% gallon water change every Sunday morning and dose 2 a week..

DIY CO2 running thru a 1-2g rated filter - changed out every 15-20 days..

Koralia nano powerhead moving extra water and a fluval 50 HOB that we change the filter floss on every 3-5 days..

AND A HUGE THANKS TO CHADRAMSEY FOR SOME GREAT PLANTS, ENGLERS AND CHERRY SHRIMP

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.