The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Equipment (
-   -   Taprite 740 regulator (

David4039 04-25-2013 02:14 AM

Taprite 740 regulator
I am setting up my first heavily planted tank and I had a question about the taprite 740. I am setting up a 10 gallon with medium light (x2 28W CFLs retrofitted into a light strip). I will be using mineralized topsoil ( capped with eco-complete. Not exactly sure what plants yet.

So, I was given the taprite series 740 regulator (single stage/ single guage) and a 5# tank and it was previously used on a beer keg. I was hoping to find out how I can make it usable for my 10 gallon. I plan to buy a nice dual stage regulator in a couple months, but in the meantime I would like to get this one going. Can I use it safely? What would I need to make this happen?

Sugardaddy1979 04-25-2013 03:27 AM

You'll end up spending a good chunk of cash to use that regard as you'llneed a needle valve, solenoid fittings bubble counter if you cchoose to use one and a diffuser. You may be able to use that post body on a better regarding later, so it wouldn't be wasted money. Be prepared to spend at least 100 to make that regard usable.

David4039 04-25-2013 12:04 PM

Thank you for replying. Even though I have kept plants in my tanks for well over a decade, I have never used pressurized CO2. I have read a ton, but that doesn't mean I understand it all... that will just come with hands on experience lol.

So, if I bought a good needle valve, solenoid, and bubble counter... I could just use that on the dual stage regulator that I buy in a couple months? Without knowing what regulator I'm going to buy, is there any way to know if there will be compatibility issues or are they pretty much universal?

I planned on buying a diffuser (I do have the diffuser that came with the ISTA CO2 package) and a drop checker.

Sugardaddy1979 04-25-2013 02:21 PM

You should be able to use those things with most regs so long as you stick with npt fittings. The regs that we use typically are 1/4 npt that we reduce to 1/8 npt.

David4039 04-26-2013 02:55 AM

Well I tried to find out what npt was before I posted, but I failed lol. Is there anyone on here that you could reccommend to purchase everything I need for the regulator?

Oh, and thank you very much for replying to this thread. I do really appreciate it.

Sugardaddy1979 04-26-2013 10:45 AM

bettatail and oldpunk sell complete setups, but not sute how often they sell individual components. NPT is national pipe thread and refers to the thread pattern. You can get the Ideal needle valve and burkert solenoid from Those are both really good parts. The fittings can be had from swagelok if price isnt a concern or from your local hardware store.

David4039 04-26-2013 12:21 PM

Thank you so much... you have been VERY helpful. I'll post more here as it comes. I tried searching for the reg I'm using prior to posting and there really wasn't much about it, so hopefully this will help someone else later.

Darkblade48 04-26-2013 09:59 PM

As Sugardaddy1979 mentioned, you can buy parts for your current single stage regulator. When you decide to purchase a dual stage regulator, you can easily swap the parts to the new regulator without any problems.

You can check my Primer to Pressurized CO2 (linked in my signature below) as well as Bettatail's Needle/metering valve list for part numbers, if you are interested in assembling your own setup.

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.