The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fish (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   KensFish food recommendations? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=315769)

lullafishi 04-24-2013 10:47 PM

KensFish food recommendations?

I'm ordering some miscellaneous supplies from KensFish and I'm about $20 short on receiving free shipping. So I figured I'd buy some fish food for my future fish*, but I have no idea what to get.

(*I won't be able to start cycling my tank for another two weeks, so it's very likely it will be at least a month before I'll actually have fish to feed. I'm assuming I'll have to freeze whatever food I get until then.)

Here is what I plan to stock my tank with:

- cories
- a few male guppies
- otos
- tetras (rummynose or cardinal)
- harlequin rasbora
- potentially a ram pair or gourami, but that's farther down the road
- hopefully some hardy shrimpies

I'm looking for a few varieties that would be suitable for the above. What do you recommend?

LB79 04-25-2013 12:24 AM

Omega One shrimp pellets and Omega One tropical flakes.

Kimfishepet 04-25-2013 12:32 AM

Love love kens fish! Always hit my $100!
Kens guppy flake
Growth crumbles #02 for adults and juvies
Golden pearls 100 micron for fry
Decap brine shrimp for fry
Veggies sticks with calcium

Fdsh5 04-25-2013 12:37 AM

You have to try their new catfish sticks. My sterbai go nuts. My shrimp love them too

Kimfishepet 04-25-2013 02:00 AM

Now I want some of those. There goes another hundred bucks!!

Fdsh5 04-25-2013 10:53 AM

Seriously, they are fantastic. As soon as they sink, they're out munching and my sterbai scatter when I come near the tank.

lullafishi 04-25-2013 05:52 PM

Thanks for the recommendations! I think I'll definitely have to try out the catfish sticks!

What about for the tetras and rasbora? Would flakes or pellets be better?

JAYGEE 04-25-2013 06:15 PM

Quick question, I am looking for some thing small to feed my Boraras brigittae. What do yall suggest feeding them? They were eating Golden Pearls but my cats decided they wanted it and stole the bag of it, and I cant find it anywhere.

What size golden pearls would be best, 200-300 microns or bigger/smaller?

lullafishi 04-25-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAYGEE (Post 3219498)
Quick question, I am looking for some thing small to feed my Boraras brigittae. What do yall suggest feeding them? They were eating Golden Pearls but my cats decided they wanted it and stole the bag of it, and I cant find it anywhere.

Lol! I'll have to make a mental note to hide my fish food from may cats, because I'm sure they'd pull the same trick.

JAYGEE 04-25-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lullafishi (Post 3219626)
Lol! I'll have to make a mental note to hide my fish food from may cats, because I'm sure they'd pull the same trick.

They also took my shrimp food that I ordered, but I found that in front of their food/water bowl with the plastic bag ripped. And broke 4 out of 6 API test kit test tubes. :angryfire

Kimfishepet 04-25-2013 08:01 PM

Yes my cats have attacked several bags of things and once they knocked off a whole thing of veggie sticks the dogs are them all. I never found so much as a crumb.

wicca27 04-25-2013 08:27 PM

i like the color max flake all my fish like it and even the shrimp do to. makes the red on the columbian tetras really pop

Fdsh5 04-25-2013 09:21 PM

If you just crush up the flake in your palm and do it in the tank they will eat it. That's what I do for my danio erythromicron. They are pretty small but they have no problem. Good choice of fish btw. Chilis are awesome little fish