The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Equipment (
-   -   Fluval FX-5 Help (

stevenjohn21 04-22-2013 06:41 PM

Fluval FX-5 Help
I just bought i used FX-5 and although its only 2 months old, it did not come with an instruction booklet so i have no idea if this is correct or not.

The pictures below are of the rubber connector that i presume connects the hose to the inlet/outlet ? Considering how much water this filter pushes, it does not seem very safe ! I have tried it out in a bucket first to see if any leaks started but couldnt find any. It just scares me that im relying on 125 gallons of water to be kept in the tank and not all over my floor, by this flimsy connector which doesnt take a lot of effort to pull clean off.

tiggity 04-22-2013 06:47 PM

That is how it connects. I've had my fluval 306 for a year now and no leaks. Also that junction goes through the hanger clip and in the water to provide a seal.

WheeledGoat 04-22-2013 06:57 PM

Yep - same deal on my 206. Though I must admit my jealousy that your rubber connector is black. Mine is white. (I just bought some Krylon Fusion spray paint to remedy that.)

No leaks for me. And frankly, that connector is the best way to ensure no leaks. I won't even trust a worm clamp on that ribbed hosing.

stevenjohn21 04-22-2013 08:28 PM

Ok thanks, i had to make sure just incase. I would hate to come home with 125 gallons on my floor.

Delexboarfoot 04-23-2013 07:59 AM

That connector MUST be INSIDE the tank. NOT outside!!!!!!

You should have 2 black plastic formers that are designed to guide the pipes over the side of the tank. The connectors go INSIDE the tank after the guides.