The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Tank Journals (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   265 gal plant tank build has begun. (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=305370)

dkreef 04-13-2013 06:44 AM

265 gal plant tank build has begun.

1 Attachment(s)
Friday night and here i am loading safetsorb and pool filter sand into the tank.

See the sand in the middle?
How do folks make sure the safetsor and sand dont mix together?
Ive seen videos where they put some square plastic between the two substrates. What is that and where do i get it?

dkreef 04-13-2013 07:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Initial hardscape. Something aint right.

dkreef 04-13-2013 08:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Second try seems better

dkreef 04-13-2013 10:31 AM

i ordered 10 bundles of each of these and based on how i finished hardscaping tonight, i have a feeling, for some of these i may end up using only half.
anyhow ill get shipment on sunday. did i order too much?

following is what i ordered:
Ammania Gracilis
Bacopa caroliniana
cryptocoryne Balanesae
cryptocoryne Blassi
cryptocoryne Lucens
cryptocoryne wendtii Brown
cryptocoryne wendtii Green
Echinodorus Parviflorus
Hydrocotyle leucocephala
hygrophillia difformis
Limnophillia Aquatica
Limnophillia Aromatica
Ludwigia Natans
HC
Java fern
Narrow leaf Java fern
Rotala Indica
Sagittaria subulata
Vallisneria Spiralis

Bettatail 04-14-2013 06:11 AM

can't wait to see your tank fill with green!

some plants from your list not gonna make it, but some of them will do well, take a little bit time you will have a lush green looking tank.

+1 for the Sagittaria Subulata, don't need co2 and once it spreads out and cover the bottom, will look very nice.

tomfromstlouis 04-14-2013 04:06 PM

I like the hardscape except for the two stones front and center. Everything else looks natural and those two look like planted sentries. The second try is better because they are slightly more subtle but they still look artificial to me. What do they look like pushed to the back? How about connected to the other piles? I suspect plant growth will be hiding lots of the rocks anyway.

The plastic grid stuff is known as egg crate. Not sure where you get it, but I thought folks put it beneath the substrate to keep the substrate from creeping around. Holds it in place.

Do those white spots on the back near center need paint or are the plants going to completely cover them or what?

I think you are going to have way too many plants, especially the stems, but I gotta say, despite my quibbles above, THIS TANK IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!

Paxx 04-14-2013 04:23 PM

Those white spots look to me to be left over coralline algae that remained after a vinegar bath cleaning. Wasn't this tank a saltwater aquarium at some point? Not to worry, for the most part if they are coralline algae stains, the acidic water of a Discus or Angel planted tank will most likely dissolve the stains over time. After 6 months they probably will not be easily visible.

dkreef 04-14-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bettatail (Post 3117121)
can't wait to see your tank fill with green!

some plants from your list not gonna make it, but some of them will do well, take a little bit time you will have a lush green looking tank.

+1 for the Sagittaria Subulata, don't need co2 and once it spreads out and cover the bottom, will look very nice.

Which ones are gonna be hard to keep and why?
I was thinking hc to cover most forefront and subulata to cover corner front and just behind hc.

dkreef 04-14-2013 04:49 PM

Those white spots are coraline algae. I just could reach the back but plants will cover all the back anyway

dkreef 04-14-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis (Post 3119473)
I like the hardscape except for the two stones front and center. Everything else looks natural and those two look like planted sentries. The second try is better because they are slightly more subtle but they still look artificial to me. What do they look like pushed to the back? How about connected to the other piles? I suspect plant growth will be hiding lots of the rocks anyway.

The plastic grid stuff is known as egg crate. Not sure where you get it, but I thought folks put it beneath the substrate to keep the substrate from creeping around. Holds it in place.

Do those white spots on the back near center need paint or are the plants going to completely cover them or what?

I think you are going to have way too many plants, especially the stems, but I gotta say, despite my quibbles above, THIS TANK IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!

yea the center area is still unfinished. i may change it future. but im out of rocks and woods for now. need to get more.
as far as the plastic ones. im talking about flexible acrylic sheets.
ive seen some guys place those 4x4" sheets in between the sand and other substrate to make sure they stay divided and i think mainly to make sure carpets dont cover over the sand.
i read somewhere that homedepot carries. just wanna know the exact name.

dkreef 04-15-2013 12:55 AM

Plants came with weights. Do I need to keep it on or remove it?

Paxx 04-15-2013 01:02 AM

Remove.

dkreef 04-15-2013 01:13 AM

thanks paxx.

any other steps i need to?
once i plant it all then fill in water then run pump etc. then what?

do i need to add fertilizers or add metricide 14?
when can i start fishless cycle?

Paxx 04-15-2013 01:47 AM

Placing an upside down bowl on a plate and directing your fill water onto it will help keep substrate disturbances to a minimum during the fill.

Fishless cycle - begins the moment you add water.

Ferts - I'm not sure of the method you have chosen but most recommend beginning your fert/water change routine almost immediately. How you are cycling your tank is also a factor. If your tank is all "new" I would be hesitant to add ferts until the nitrification cycle is well on its way. It has been years since I have started a completely new tank without having some mature filter media to jump start the process, so I am a bit rusty on your exact question.

Plan on replanting things the next few weeks as die off occurs and healthy roots begin to develop.

Re: problem plants
One of the problem plants for your setup is HC. It has been my experience and observation that HC does well in soft water with high lighting and profuse amounts of pressurized CO2. My own latest attempt at HC ended (I have high light and plenty of CO2) with them dwindling away and the dwarf sag taking over. I probably didn't plant it right. ;)

Kathyy 04-15-2013 02:24 AM

Float stems with the metal removed in clean water, trim up dying stem bottoms and leaves if any. I rejoice when I see snail egg clusters, some remove them. Plant stems just a bit apart in groups.

To fill the tank cover substrate and plants completely with big pieces of bubble wrap or fill tank with crumpled paper and plastic and fill slowly. Works like a charm. Did you sift or rinse the STS before placing in the tank? It is pretty dusty stuff. I sifted briefly, rinsed briefly and carefully filled and was very happy with the result.

Here is one video on how to divide substrates. http://youtu.be/OZ0WBDcEWZE I would not succeed even if I used various sized rocks completely separating the two like this Amano tank setup http://youtu.be/quisiqOd3Kk. Green Machine has some basic set up videos too, how to prepare plants for planting for instance.