The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   General Planted Tank Discussion (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New tank with ADA substrate questions (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=298306)

Jester946 04-06-2013 01:01 AM

New tank with ADA substrate questions

So I built a new nano tank: Eheim Aquastyle 9 gallon...

I wanted to follow ADA's method with this tank, so I used the three layers they recommend, Sand, bactor, and Amazonia.

Since I have a 2215 on an already establish tank, I put the new media (about 1/16th of what was in there) into that filter, and used media from it in my new Eheim Aquastyle.

After this, I added some water (about 1/2") and planted HC and some stem plants, then filled it. Of course, the water was BLACK from this, even though I used a bag to pour the water on. After sitting 24hrs, the water is a tea colour. I am going to let it sit another day, and then do a WC if it is still tea colour.

Now the question: When can I add shrimp? I already hooked up my CO2, and have it setup and going. With established media, I figure the tank is somewhat cycled, right? Will I need to wait until the substrate is established also?

meppitech 04-06-2013 01:12 AM

Pretty sure you will have to wait for the soil to stop leaching ammonia before you add livestock

Jester946 04-06-2013 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meppitech (Post 3046882)
Pretty sure you will have to wait for the soil to stop leaching ammonia before you add livestock

What is the usual time frame on that?

I will get my test kit out and get to work on it now, is it OK to start the EI dosing right now, since I already have plants in it?

Green_Flash 04-06-2013 01:24 AM

ADA's official recommendation is that if the water is cloudy from the Aquasoil after the initial fill, you drain it again and again until it is clear before you start the filter system. The reason they give is because the fine particles will get into the filter and lead to algae problems from decay and clogging.

Time frame to reach zero ammonia with a fresh bag is usually with 4-8 weeks, even with an established filter.

meppitech 04-06-2013 02:03 AM

I have no personal experience except the research i have done. Im looking to use aquasoil but am not rushing it. I have read and read and read some more. I can give you facts but still dont feel confident quite yet to take the plunge. Let me know how it works. What aquasoil are you using? I hear the amazonia new leeches for almost two months. Im not sure but i hear some of the others dont leech so much (malaya, etc.)

GeToChKn 04-06-2013 02:13 AM

time from on it leeching ammonia is 2-4 weeks using a under gravel filter and 4-12 weeks using a regular filter. Doing massive water changes won't make it happen faster, it will just wear the buffer out quicker. The soil is loaded with ammonia and leeches out and that's that with the soil.

meppitech 04-06-2013 03:05 AM

This is why i am so unsure. Three months of leeching and then you have to do it all over again a year later to replace the soil when the buffering capability wears out. Jeez!

Jester946 04-06-2013 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeToChKn (Post 3047410)
time from on it leeching ammonia is 2-4 weeks using a under gravel filter and 4-12 weeks using a regular filter. Doing massive water changes won't make it happen faster, it will just wear the buffer out quicker. The soil is loaded with ammonia and leeches out and that's that with the soil.

Thanks for the information. I finished planting it today, and added the one rock I wanted to add covered in moss. This stirred the substrate and went from Tea to black again. I did two 50% water changes, and those will be the last water changes until the ammonia stops leaching.

Assassynation 04-06-2013 05:53 AM

My CRS tank (6gal edge) was leaching ammonia for 2 months. After I introduced my RCS breeding colony a few days later, I had an ammonia spike in the middle of the night, and wiped them out. Be sure to lightly stir the soil a little bit to help release the bubbles. I haven't read anything saying ADA Amazonia is only good for a year either. You can look through my thread down there.

Jester946 04-06-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Assassynation (Post 3048954)
My CRS tank (6gal edge) was leaching ammonia for 2 months. After I introduced my RCS breeding colony a few days later, I had an ammonia spike in the middle of the night, and wiped them out. Be sure to lightly stir the soil a little bit to help release the bubbles. I haven't read anything saying ADA Amazonia is only good for a year either. You can look through my thread down there.

Anytime I stir, the water turns black....

And yes, I did release some bubbles when I was planting it...

What is a good method to get the bubbles out, other than stiring? Poking?

genomer 04-06-2013 02:55 PM

Re: New tank with ADA substrate questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by meppitech (Post 3047922)
This is why i am so unsure. Three months of leeching and then you have to do it all over again a year later to replace the soil when the buffering capability wears out. Jeez!

I've been using the same aquasoil over and over in different escapes for 3+ years. It does not need replacing on a yearly basis...so don't fret.

Jester946 04-06-2013 03:50 PM

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=168992&page=7

ASmazing thread.

So I did an ammonia test today, mind you, yesterday I did two 50% WC.

Of course, I freaked when I thought my Ammonia was at 8.0...it really was 4.0

So I did three 30% WC, and it's back down to .50

Going to do 50% WC daily as Frank suggests, and let nature take it's course.

chew 04-06-2013 07:42 PM

New tank with ADA substrate questions

You can do the daily changes but it wears out the buffer and gets rid of some of the nutrients it leeches. Best thing I did for mine was just 50% change when ammonia got over 4ppm and I only had to change it 3 times during the cycle

Jester946 04-07-2013 12:01 AM

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...95803012_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...94432785_n.jpg

meppitech 04-07-2013 02:04 AM

After three years, what is the soil buffering your ph to?