The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fish (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   How can I train my fry to eat flake food? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=287770)

UGA_Grad_Student 03-26-2013 03:39 PM

How can I train my fry to eat flake food?

Hello sled, whoops I mean fish gods! (I feel like cool runnings with this crazy weather on the east coast)

My question is fairly simple. How do I get my lil angelfish fry to eat flake or even golden pearls (I have almost every size). I have noticed they have became rather picky in only eating live brine. They spit out any other type of flake or the golden pearl food. My first hatch of fry are just shy of a month old. I have a much larger group of fry a week behind them so now 3 weeks old. Thanks for the help fish gods!

harilp 03-26-2013 03:59 PM

Re: How can I train my fry to eat flake food?

Just take a tea spoon of flake food an crush it and feed u might not see that eating go and look into it after an hour

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk

shloken38 03-26-2013 05:38 PM

Crushing the flakes into a powder usually works. Eventually they will get hungry enough to eat anything, at which time they will eat the flakes......and like it!

wkndracer 03-27-2013 04:39 PM

Congrats on getting them past free swimming along with figuring out how to handle the spawns and hatch the shrimp!
BBS is always (imo) the highest protein / best thing starting out.
Mine continue to get BBS until almost dime size but above pea size I start adding crushed flake. How I handle angelfish fry support is they get fed twice a day (AM,PM). Introducing the flake I pinch, thumb/forefinger, rub/crush it to powder then 3-5 minutes later follow up with the BBS.

I don't think starvation food shifts are wise.

msawdey 03-27-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkndracer (Post 2955850)
Congrats on getting them past free swimming along with figuring out how to handle the spawns and hatch the shrimp!
BBS is always (imo) the highest protein / best thing starting out.
Mine continue to get BBS until almost dime size but above pea size I start adding crushed flake. How I handle angelfish fry support is they get fed twice a day (AM,PM). Introducing the flake I pinch, thumb/forefinger, rub/crush it to powder then 3-5 minutes later follow up with the BBS.

I don't think starvation food shifts are wise.

I wish you would write a book on angelfish breeding........

UGA_Grad_Student 03-27-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msawdey (Post 2955930)
I wish you would write a book on angelfish breeding........

+1

I am just going to keep em going with what they got at this moment. When they get to about dime size, I may try to tweak a couple things. I have some more questions but I'm going to start a new thread when I get around to it.