The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   General Planted Tank Discussion (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Okay to eat moss? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=281690)

Cannonbolt 03-21-2013 01:40 AM

Okay to eat moss?
 
My roommate's Scotty dog has grown fond of eating dried clumps of Java Moss that I pull out of my tank. He's just getting a little fiber right?

Couesfanatic 03-21-2013 01:48 AM

and a few intestinal parasites.

LyzzaRyzz 03-21-2013 03:12 AM

Wait, what internal parasites?

Please elaborate!

Aulonocara_Freak 03-21-2013 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyzzaRyzz (Post 2892114)
Wait, what internal parasites?

Please elaborate!

Would you eat the moss? Would you drink your tanks water?

amberoze 03-21-2013 03:26 AM

Re: Okay to eat moss?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aulonocara_Freak (Post 2892162)
Would you eat the moss? Would you drink your tanks water?

I wouldn't eat the moss, but I would Ferrell perfectly safe drinking my tank water.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dtejeda.arias 03-21-2013 03:30 AM

It's a dog some eat their own poop. I'm sure a little moss won't hurt him, unless you use crazy chemicals and ferts

herns 03-21-2013 03:36 AM

Maybe.

Animals eat anything. Pig doesnt get stomach upset eating dirt. Well, they are pigs not dogs. lol

thebuddha 03-21-2013 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtejeda.arias (Post 2892306)
It's a dog some eat their own poop. I'm sure a little moss won't hurt him, unless you use crazy chemicals and ferts

+1



moss wouldnt be the worst things my dogs have eaten....
but i wouldnt intentionally give my dog access to it

Art by Stef* 03-21-2013 06:14 AM

I wouldn't allow the dog to eat anything I was unsure of. Contrary to belief, they do not have cast iron stomachs, and WILL eat things not good for them. (like dog beds getting chewed and entwined in their intestines)

There are some things WE can eat, but they can't, like baker's chocolate and tylenol.

Also, some mosses and lichens like Old Mans Beard and Reindeer moss can be very beneficial, and used in medications and foods.

Other's can KILL like Wolfen Lichen, which looks similar to harmless varieties. Wolf Lichen got it's name for killing Canis Lupus!

So, like mushrooms, I would beware and not take the risk.
-Stef*

Couesfanatic 03-21-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyzzaRyzz (Post 2892114)
Wait, what internal parasites?

Please elaborate!

Roundworms are very common in freshwater tanks. I killed a liver fluke in my tank a few months back. Intestinal parasite are common in pond water. Our tanks are obviously cleaner, but many parasites have an aquatic stage in their life cycle. I wouldn't let the dog eat the moss. It's risky.

hunterlook 03-21-2013 07:08 AM

If your dog isn't showing any weird signs for the next week or so, I wouldn't worry about it. My dog just ate an entire bottle of OmegaOne flake food and didn't bat an eye (he's a chocolate lab). The one thing that actually managed to destroy his stomach was when he somehow got a hold of 2 full sticks of butter. It was horrible. So horrible. :confused1:

fusiongt 03-21-2013 07:22 AM

Moss is okay - I'd say if it's been out for a while (you said it was dry) that it's probably like eating dried grass. Yea 2 full sticks of butter is a no no heh

Cannonbolt 03-21-2013 12:15 PM

Re: Okay to eat moss?
 
I would never give it to the dog but there's been a few times where I've forgotten to empty out the tub I drop my clippings into. I'd say he's eaten it at least 3 or 4 times and he's only interested in it when its dried out. Seems fine. He also ate a bag of pellet food. The bag was the only part he seemed to have any trouble with.

gSTiTcH 03-21-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couesfanatic (Post 2893802)
Roundworms are very common in freshwater tanks. I killed a liver fluke in my tank a few months back. Intestinal parasite are common in pond water. Our tanks are obviously cleaner, but many parasites have an aquatic stage in their life cycle. I wouldn't let the dog eat the moss. It's risky.

Then again, if you're treating the dog with a preventative (ivermectin, I believe) like you're supposed to, intestinal parasites will not be an issue.

Couesfanatic 03-21-2013 04:20 PM

Why let him get the parasite in the first place?

Most people are not treating their dog with preventative medicine constantly.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.