The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   General Planted Tank Discussion (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Pricing for the Alternanthera reineckii mini (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=280642)

plantbrain 03-20-2013 03:34 AM

Pricing for the Alternanthera reineckii mini

Ya know, someone ask what the going price was for this somewhat new, but common plant(Tropica/Dennerle both sell it), and I jokingly said 50$ a stem.

Lo and behold, I've seen 3-4 offerings at this price:)
I should have said 100$ a stem.:hihi:

keithy 03-20-2013 03:40 AM

I guess it depends on the supply and demand for the plant. Would like to see how big this plant will get when mature.

xmas_one 03-20-2013 03:42 AM

Yeah, we'll just wait for it to be a buck a stem. I learned that lesson.

bababooey 03-20-2013 08:21 PM

Ya...seeing alot of these popping up in trade since you listed yours. Don't really understand who would pay that much for some stems that will be $1-5 in a few weeks. I guess PT Barnum was right...there really are suckers born every minute!

secuono 03-20-2013 08:30 PM

$50 for a stem? No way.

sdaugherty 03-20-2013 08:37 PM

I'm glad to hear the prices will probably drop on that. I saw a picture and wanted to add it to one of my tanks until I saw the price.

nvladik 03-20-2013 08:39 PM

I wanted to reply to the sales thread, wondering what the seller is smoking.

neilshieh 03-20-2013 08:44 PM

LOL when i saw that people actually bought it I just snorted. It's going to be like the hygrophila pinnatifida craze, 40 dollars a stem one week and a couple dollars next week.
only slow growing difficult plants can keep a stable market. and of course troublesome plants that are hit or miss like pogostemon helferi

idex 03-20-2013 08:49 PM

Interesting... will wait for prices to drop first.

IWANNAGOFAST 03-20-2013 09:08 PM

some plants hold their value, stem plants don't seem to. Ludwigia tornado was $50 a stem last year.

If only we were able to get tropica plants in the states

UDGags 03-20-2013 11:26 PM

Re: Pricing for the Alternanthera reineckii mini

I started that thread Tom is talking about and I ended up paying $15/stem shipped. This was before Tom said $50 as a joke.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

h4n 03-20-2013 11:31 PM

Re: Pricing for the Alternanthera reineckii mini

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDGags (Post 2890042)
I started that thread Tom is talking about and I ended up paying $15/stem shipped. This was before Tom said $50 as a joke.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

You just made profit.
Thanks to Tom.

Hahah

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"

samee 03-20-2013 11:33 PM

ahahaha I thought it was a joke, but I guess some will pay.

Till it drops down to a $1/stem, what other plants are readily avail that are similar to mini?

Alternantherna sp. variegated looks kinda similar and I really like it. I DO know someone up here who has it. Just itching to try it out.

plantbrain 03-21-2013 04:28 AM

I was just joking, being a schiester that I am.

It's like folks believing "The Onion" is really the world's finest news source.

I'll sell you all my plants here for 500$ ahaha. No, not really. Some moderator might think I'm selling in the wrong sub form and not realize this too is also a joke.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...psa0c72a4d.jpg

I got my plants for Free.

But I traded some plants they wanted bad.

plantbrain 03-21-2013 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST (Post 2888746)
some plants hold their value, stem plants don't seem to. Ludwigia tornado was $50 a stem last year.

If only we were able to get tropica plants in the states

Some still are charging a lot for it.

I tend to keep the pricing up, but as demand wanes, I tend to add more stems to the boxes for the same price. That and I tend to get pretty good at growing the plants so they get really nice stuff. If you are simply trying to flip plants, well..........that's a tough business.

Growers will always have better stuff.