The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Tank Journals (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Jake's High-Clarity Shrimp Cubes (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=279202)

somewhatshocked 03-18-2013 08:47 PM

Jake's High-Clarity Shrimp Cubes

Got suckered in by a sale and picked up two 20cm high-clarity cubes from AquaTop.

A teaser:

http://www.hundred20.com/pt/March2013/newcubes1.jpg
http://www.hundred20.com/pt/March2013/newcubes2.jpg

(No, they won't be placed on particle board - don't worry)

Clarity is terrific. Definitely worth the price. If you're on the fence about one of these AquaTop tanks? Don't hesitate to make the purchase.

Not sure what's in store beyond adding a black background to each, using Aquasoil, Red Sea Nano filters and random chunks of driftwood.

Have two spare 13w Fluval fixtures but would prefer to go the LED route.

Plants? No clue. Have tons of moss. Maybe just moss on driftwood.

Plan to house various Caridina. Or maybe I won't and will pump CO2 and grow things like S. repens and UG? We'll see what plays out. Just need to go through my hardscape supply to see what looks best. That'll determine plants and whether or not these cubes house sensitive shrimp.

At the very least, they'll house Neos.

daitran89 03-18-2013 09:19 PM

Jake's 20cm High-Clarity Shrimp Cubes

Nice ^^

Alaskan Fishface 03-18-2013 09:43 PM

Makes me wish I had more room.

A.D.D.i.c.t. 03-18-2013 10:36 PM

Nice! Those will make awesome little shrimp tanks!

hedge_fund 03-18-2013 11:07 PM

Looking really nice. Can't wait to see them all set up.

somewhatshocked 03-18-2013 11:26 PM

Now, all I need to do is find a few hours for planning and tooling around with driftwood and such.

Part of me wants to order a bunch of Anubias nana 'petite' to create a massive structure of them in one.

h4n 03-19-2013 12:44 AM

Nice Jake!

Green_Flash 03-19-2013 09:58 PM

Those look great. :)

Spaniard 03-19-2013 10:14 PM

how much did u get both for?

somewhatshocked 03-19-2013 11:14 PM

They're a forum sponsor, so feel free to check their website out.

These particular tanks are relatively cheap, I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaniard (Post 2877682)
how much did u get both for?

talontsiawd 03-20-2013 01:15 AM

I can't comment to much on your tanks for obvious reasons but I know they will be super cool as I love some of your other tanks. However, I totally appreciate you showing these and giving a review. Just looked them up and prices are super reasonable so if you are happy, I will be. I will have one for the kitchen as soon as I extend my counters 2ft. Awesome.

somewhatshocked 03-20-2013 01:25 AM

They're better quality than any of my Mr. Aqua tanks and, in my opinion, way nicer than Do! Aqua. Blasphemy coming from me, an ADA fan, I know. Pretty sure they come from the same factory.

Regular forum folks know I'm quick to speak up when I receive a product that's poor quality. These tanks are tops and I expect them to become popular. Glass is thick, tanks are heavy and the silicone is great. I want but absolutely DO NOT need a third little cube.

Quote:

Originally Posted by talontsiawd (Post 2879714)
I can't comment to much on your tanks for obvious reasons but I know they will be super cool as I love some of your other tanks. However, I totally appreciate you showing these and giving a review. Just looked them up and prices are super reasonable so if you are happy, I will be. I will have one for the kitchen as soon as I extend my counters 2ft. Awesome.

talontsiawd 03-20-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhatshocked (Post 2879842)
They're better quality than any of my Mr. Aqua tanks and, in my opinion, way nicer than Do! Aqua. Blasphemy coming from me, an ADA fan, I know. Pretty sure they come from the same factory.

Regular forum folks know I'm quick to speak up when I receive a product that's poor quality. These tanks are tops and I expect them to become popular. Glass is thick, tanks are heavy and the silicone is great. I want but absolutely DO NOT need a third little cube.

That's actually really good to know. I used to go to AFA in San Fransisco like once a month, though I couldn't afford ADA products. I believe the Do! Aqua stuff was just coming out when I first started going. I told myself I would never get and ADA tank without most their other goodies I love to drool over. This is my excuse for a nice cube without feeling I need to spend a fortune. Well, I do need to spend a fortune on the kitchen to make something fit but that's a whole nother issue lol.

Even cooler, my fiancee actually wants me to do a 2-5 gallon cube, more or less. I don't hear that every day, trust me. She has been actually asking me for about 3 months to consider it (trying to rid myself of MTS).

Thanks for the review. I could live with a Mr. Aqua and would love a Do! Aqua so you have convinced me. Just need to update the kitchen lol.

JEden8 03-20-2013 04:08 AM

Nice! Can't wait to see them up and running!

bacon5 03-20-2013 11:12 PM

Is that sale still going on. Those tanks look great!