The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Looking into getting a 20L...need help (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=278218)

dr3ww3rd 03-17-2013 10:21 PM

Looking into getting a 20L...need help
 
Like the title says I am thinking about starting another shrimp tank but this time I want to do a 20 long. My main question is what are the best choices for lighting? I WANT LOW TECH. No co2 and no ferts but still heavily planted. I figured with so many people out there with 20 long shrimp tanks this would be the best place to post. I plan on running 2 of the ATI pro ii sponge filters although I could get a 3rd if need be. I am going to be using new Amazonia substrate. I am not quite ready to get everything, I'm just trying to plan ahead. Also I'm not trying to spend a fortune on the lighting. I want enough light to grow stem plants, moss, and your other typical aquarium plants but not so much light I have algae issues. Thanks for any and all help

assasin6547 03-17-2013 10:24 PM

Hey, that's what I'm doing! :)
I plan on doing one sponge filter and one AC30 HOB.
Lighting - FugeRay

freph 03-17-2013 10:31 PM

Fugeray sounds fine for lighting as long as you raise it some. A single T5 (regular output, not HO) is fine too for low light.

Nubster 03-17-2013 11:12 PM

A couple 13w CLF spiral bulbs work well too.

dr3ww3rd 03-17-2013 11:14 PM

I have a 20 gallon high that's about 15 years old. I have the fluorescent light that came with it. Obviously it's a little shorter but with a glass top would that light work?

sbarbee54 03-18-2013 12:56 AM

Fugeray, IMO I wish I would have bought a bunch of these for all my tanks...

dr3ww3rd 03-18-2013 02:09 PM

So if I got the fugeray would I have to hang it or could I set it directly ontop of the tank?

Lia 03-18-2013 10:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr3ww3rd (Post 2856122)
Like the title says I am thinking about starting another shrimp tank but this time I want to do a 20 long. My main question is what are the best choices for lighting? I WANT LOW TECH. No co2 and no ferts but still heavily planted. I figured with so many people out there with 20 long shrimp tanks this would be the best place to post. I plan on running 2 of the ATI pro ii sponge filters although I could get a 3rd if need be. I am going to be using new Amazonia substrate. I am not quite ready to get everything, I'm just trying to plan ahead. Also I'm not trying to spend a fortune on the lighting. I want enough light to grow stem plants, moss, and your other typical aquarium plants but not so much light I have algae issues. Thanks for any and all help


I have a 20 long lit with 13 watt CFL bulb and nice and bright other than 2 inches on both sides but you could use a higher watt bulb or hang it lower.

This was pic before I set it up.

Lia 03-18-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbarbee54 (Post 2857706)
Fugeray, IMO I wish I would have bought a bunch of these for all my tanks...


I looked into led and heard great things about fugeray but I did not want blue light and it had more blue than I wanted.

somewhatshocked 03-18-2013 11:32 PM

Fugeray lighting isn't blue unless you turn on the blue moonlights.

Though, for a 20gal long, there are cheaper LED options.

You could even get a new Aqueon modular LED fixture if you want to be low light. Those are cheap.

fr0sty 03-19-2013 01:08 AM

There probably are cheaper options out there, but I got the fugeray for my tank and I love it!

Mine's low-tech-ish... I am dosing some flourish excel daily and micros 3x a week until the plants grow out a bit, but other than that, pretty low-tech.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9784/20lfts.jpg

Jeffkol 03-19-2013 03:18 AM

Looking into getting a 20L...need help
 
When people talk about 20L aquariums what do they mean? 20 liters long tank? Or 20 gallon long tank? Or what? I have looked almost everywhere and I cannot seem to find out what they really are! Thanks!
P.S. not trying to hijack your thread(:

MABJ 03-19-2013 03:23 AM

Looking into getting a 20L...need help
 
They mean 20 Gallons long lol.

randyl 03-19-2013 03:44 AM

Hi, Fr0sty, how long have you had that light on the tank? Any issue with algae? I'm thinking to get some for my 20G/Ls, but not sure to get FugeRay or the DS II. (for 24" long ones, only 5 w difference)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fr0sty (Post 2867690)
There probably are cheaper options out there, but I got the fugeray for my tank and I love it!

Mine's low-tech-ish... I am dosing some flourish excel daily and micros 3x a week until the plants grow out a bit, but other than that, pretty low-tech.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9784/20lfts.jpg


Lia 03-19-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhatshocked (Post 2866674)
Fugeray lighting isn't blue unless you turn on the blue moonlights.

Though, for a 20gal long, there are cheaper LED options.

You could even get a new Aqueon modular LED fixture if you want to be low light. Those are cheap.


What I should have said is that I did not like that I would lose light due to blue leds which I would never use.

I wonder why they dont make them without blue .


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.